It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:56 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Where I live

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Where I live

Postby Purley » Tue 22 Jul 2003 19:50 GMT

Messing around on the Internet I found this site:

http://www.forsterrealty.com/regina.html

Its actually a realtor's site but if you go to the bottom of the page there are links to a slideshow. It gives a really good idea of what its like around here. The music is pretty too!

Regina Beach is on Last Mountain Lake - about half an hour from Regina, which is where I live.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Wed 23 Jul 2003 07:16 GMT

Hi Liz,

Do you live in Regina? There is a road there named after one of my relatives! Take a drive down Habkirk Drive for me :wink:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Wed 23 Jul 2003 15:38 GMT

Ever since I had a car accident years ago I have been having massage therapy - my massage therapist lives on Habkirk Drive - in fact I think there is more than one street named after Habkirk. Oh sorry - made a mistake - she lives on Laubach Avenue which is off Habkirk Drive.

So tell me - who is Habkirk and what did he/she do to get a street named after him/her?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Wed 23 Jul 2003 19:00 GMT

lizwil98 wrote:Ever since I had a car accident years ago I have been having massage therapy - my massage therapist lives on Habkirk Drive - in fact I think there is more than one street named after Habkirk. Oh sorry - made a mistake - she lives on Laubach Avenue which is off Habkirk Drive.

So tell me - who is Habkirk and what did he/she do to get a street named after him/her?
Hi Liz

He is a great/great.....whatever

He was Mayor of Regina around 1900 ish

squiffs
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Wed 23 Jul 2003 20:46 GMT

You've done well, squiffs - found an ancestor who was remembered for being a useful member of society. My mother told me she regretted digging back into her ancestry when she found a mayor of a French town (St Malo, I think) who was convicted of embezzlement. And my paternal grandmother used to get very upset when my grandfather pointed out that one of his ancestors died of DTs, but was well-known for shinning up the post of his four-poster bed with a knife in his teeth, convinced he was at sea and climbing up the rigging.

I suppose it all balances out, and proves that humans are a pretty mixed bunch - on the better side, I can offer John Hawkins (but he started off as a privateer/pirate) and Brunel (vaguely - he was my paternal grandmother's second cousin, so not a blood relation). Those of us who have had kids who turned out reasonably civilised can look back thankfully, and realise just what a risk we took in producing them.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Chinwags