It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:48 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

What's the weather like?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

What's the weather like?

Postby Purley » Thu 24 Jul 2003 02:29 GMT

Boy its hot here. Today it was 34. I don't have air conditioning so I keep all the blinds and curtains closed on the south side. Its nice a cool during the daytime but about 6.30 its as hot inside as it is outside.

Its nice having the pool. I have thought about air conditioning - lots of people have it - but I decided I would rather use my money for other things.

I am wondering how you people - like Kay in New Delhi - what is the temperature there right now and how do you cope with the heat? I assume there are lots of people on the board who live in places where its like this or hotter most of the time.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Thu 24 Jul 2003 04:12 GMT

Well, Arkansas is pretty bloody torrid at this time of year. Last week we had a high of 38 with a heat index of 43. The past couple of days have eased up to between 32 and 35. But, around here, it's not really the heat as it is the humidity. Get's to be like a sauna outside. I really can't imagine how people lived in this area in the days before a/c.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Audrey » Thu 24 Jul 2003 08:51 GMT

Abu Dhabi is even worse, about 45 - 47C most days and 90+% humidity, which is why I am at present in the UK!! As stated earlier, its not the heat that is the problem as such its the humidity. The plus side is we get lovely winters, about 25 - 28C all through Dec - Feb/March and no humidity.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Audrey
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 24 Jul 2003 11:41 GMT

It's about 30C here with 88% humidity (had to get that off the 123India website). And it's sunny again at last. 8)

We have a/cs but I can't use them very much. I wear contact lenses and the a/c makes my eyes feel too dry and irritated. I have a fan on in the "office" (it's supposed to be a bedroom but we have desks in here instead of beds). As for the other rooms, we just blast the a/c on to cool the place down as required and then switch it off again.

A pet hate of mine is when people refrigerate their rooms. There are some restaurants here where I always take a jacket or a jumper because they're so cold. It's like sitting in a wind tunnel in some of them and it takes ages to defrost when you get outside again. Brrrrr and Grrrrr! :x

Kay 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Thu 24 Jul 2003 15:32 GMT

The time that I have the hardest with the heat/humidity is when I go to sleep. I can be a dripping sweat ball all day long but when I climb into the sack I want to sleep wrapped in my old duvet so I keep the bedroom almost uncomfortably cold all year round. I just can't get to sleep, or stay there, if the bed is soggy with sweat or I have nothing covering me (and a sheet's just not good enough).
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Purley » Thu 24 Jul 2003 16:20 GMT

I know what you mean about the cold in the summer. Last week my son and I and his daughter went for supper. We all had t shirts and shorts on. We were all freezing. My son said the air conditioning was blasting down right above his head and so his food was cold before he finished it. We even complained to the waiter. My granddaughter went to the bathroom twice because she said it was warmer in there!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 24 Jul 2003 18:00 GMT

We had Sunday lunch at the Oberoi here in Delhi a couple of months back. I was so cold that my arms were all goose-bumps. We complained to the waiter and his response was to bring out a pashmina shawl for me. So there I was all wrapped up in a shawl like a little old lady, when it was gloriously warm outside. It's just daft.

I guess it's a cultural thing - like getting a tan. The whiter you are, the more happy you are to get browner and vice versa. (I've even seen deodorants containing skin "whitening agents", although I think that was in Thailand.)

Our driver, who comes from Tamil Nadu in the south, is very dark but breaks into a sweat if the sun shows its face. He loves the winter. Conversely, I can stand outside in the full sun quite happily and I feel miserable if I'm cold. After growing up in Scotland, any climate has got to be better! :twisted:

Kay
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri 25 Jul 2003 12:30 GMT

Kay wrote:I have a fan

I'm sure you have many, and we should start a club :wink:

Don't you become accustomed to the climate/temperature after a while? Here in the north of Scotland we've hit 28C a few times recently, which may seem cool to most of you, but is rare in these parts.

Yet I've had friends from Central Scotland staying - and let's face it, that's not much further south - and my drinking/dining outside, wearing the minimum decency permits, was met with a frenzy of jumper-donning and general wrapping up. Not to mention strange looks.

Okay, I'll get my semmit . . . .

Mike (Anticipating the question "Fit's a semmit?)
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 25 Jul 2003 12:45 GMT

Mike (Anticipating the question "Fit's a semmit?)

Ah kane fine fit a semmit is.

But don't be surprised if Squiffs appears with some anti-semmitism (sic) jokes!!! :roll:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Fri 25 Jul 2003 13:01 GMT

Just thought i'd pop in with a thought or two about weather. I have lived on both coasts of Canada and find the damp relatively warmish (not below freezing)winters of the west coast harder to take than the very cold (-40) winters of the east. The whole time i lived in British Columbia (almost 14 years) i don't think i was warm, not to mention hot, once. When i mentioned to my BC-born husband the idea of moving east he couldn't understand how i could even think about these winters if i complained aobut the mild winters out there. I tried to explain the difference, but he was sceptical to say the least. It is only after having lived here for 3 years that he now understands. He loves the heat (i don't) and doesn't even complain about the blasted humidity! He does, however, turn the fan in the bedroom on before he goes to sleep.

Today's wether ....grey skies and we're hoping for rain. temperture is at 27 and it is not 10 in the morning yet.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Return to Chinwags