It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 03:53 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

British clothing

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

British clothing

Postby clothing » Fri 25 Jul 2003 10:22 GMT

Hello,
I am helping a company to set up a Web site selling 'British' type clothing aimed at the mature lady who cannot find clothes to suit her style after moving abroad. I am trying to do some market research and to get an idea of whether there would be a customer base for it.

I'd appreciate any replies!
Thanks
Posted by:
clothing

Postby Kay » Fri 25 Jul 2003 11:31 GMT

Hi clothing (funny name to pick :P )

Are you/they planning to ship worldwide or do you have particular areas in mind to target?

Personally, I always find that bras are difficult to get but I wouldn't buy them online as I like to try them on first to ensure a comfortable fit.

India wouldn't be a good place to target for garments, because many of the top brands are made here and exported to the UK. Thailand would also be a bad bet. You might have more luck in Europe or elsewhere, though. Let's see what the others come up with.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: clothing

Postby clothing » Fri 25 Jul 2003 11:40 GMT

Hi Kay, thanks for the reply.
How it came about is that the owner of a couple of clothes shops here was asked by a client who had moved to Spain about whether she could buy the clothes by mail order. We're investigating the possibilities of a Web site selling similar garments to Marks and Spencer, Littlewoods, etc but with a more personalised touch and lower prices.

There are a couple of items for underwear but as you say, it's hard to buy that kind of thing online because of the difficulty with fit.
All feedback welcome...
ps re: 'clothing' I'm afraid originality in usernames escapes me at this point...!)
Posted by:
clothing

Postby justajester » Fri 25 Jul 2003 12:34 GMT

...shame that it is only for the ladies, tho. When we returned to Canada after living in England for a bit, i found it difficult to buy nice socks for my children. I finally found a Mark's, but the selection was limited, as the store wasn't very big.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Purley » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:09 GMT

We had a Marks here but the clothing didnt sell very well. It was in a stylish mall where most of the people were young business types and the clothing was more suited to older people. It closed after a few years.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:17 GMT

We have a tiny Marks here which was opened a couple of years ago. We suspect that they stock last season's stuff from the UK although there's nothing to back up that idea. It's horrendously expensive - like about £50 for a lady's white shirt. Mind you, the cut is better than what you'll get made here without something decent to copy from. I must confess that I bought the shirt, then had it copied half a dozen times. That at least brought the average shirt price down to about £10 each. :P

I just hope that people don't think I'm wearing the same shirt every day for a week. :oops: :D

Kay
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:25 GMT

lizwil98 wrote:We had a Marks here but the clothing didnt sell very well. It was in a stylish mall where most of the people were young business types and the clothing was more suited to older people. It closed after a few years.

yes, i understand that; the one we had in BC shut down too. The only time i saw people in there was at Christmas time, and the occassional older lady looking at the bloomers.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:47 GMT

My nearest M&S is three hours away, and they don't stock my bra size. :(

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:56 GMT

My nearest M&S is three hours away, and they don't stock my bra size.

Mike

Mike, don't be daft. Everyone knows that you're BE's answer to Charlie Dimmock, our very own braless celebrity gardener. Except that you're much better looking, of course.

:D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Fri 25 Jul 2003 17:26 GMT

My nearest M&S is three hours away, and they don't stock my bra size.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know the feeling :wink:

BTW, I was convinced that last year M&S were planning on shutting ALL non British shops due to poor overall results and "concentrating on core business" or some such. I remember seeing virtual riots outside the one in Paris when it was announced, and thought they'd all gone by now.

I take it this did'nt happen in the end then?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby chabrenas » Fri 25 Jul 2003 19:43 GMT

Southern Africa is confusing - the shop that stocks St Michael clothes and sells good quality but slightly expensive food is called Woolworths (in fact, it IS Woolworths - name in exactly the same font, etc.).
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 25 Jul 2003 20:01 GMT

Rich wrote:
BTW, I was convinced that last year M&S were planning on shutting ALL non British shops due to poor overall results and "concentrating on core business" or some such...

I take it this didn't happen in the end then?

I'm not sure whether it did or not. But it may be that they gave up on the shops they ran themselves. The operations in India and Thailand are franchises rather than core M&S, so they don't actually cost M&S anything to maintain (or anything significant, anyway).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags