It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:34 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Favourite childhood meals

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Favourite childhood meals

Postby Purley » Sun 27 Jul 2003 14:34 GMT

I always that liked school dinners. We had to line up for ours and the dinner ladies plunked the food on the plates. My favourite dessert was butterscotch tart and custard. I went to an all girls grammar school and let me tell you girls are no classier than boys! We called custard "cat's turd" and tapioca pudding was frogspawn.

On the home front we had all the usual roast (joint we called it - a habit which soon stopped after people in Canada roared with laughter!) and spotted dick and various suet puddings with apple fillings and lemon fillings and custard. We always had "pudding". Every day we would ask "what is for pudding" and my Dad would say "wait and see". We had wait and see every meal time!

Semolina pudding with jam - stir it all around and you get a lovely purple shade of semolina pudding! Mashed potatoes with a fried egg on top was another favourite.

On Monday we always had cold left-over roast from Sunday, mashed potatoes and Piccalilli or Branston pickle - yumm!

My Mom made Devil's food cake and her tradition was to make pale green frosting with mint flavour. Her other specials were lemon meringue pie - made from scratch of course and lovely and lemony, rhubarb sponge, bread and butter pudding.

When you think of all these fattening desserts with custard on them - its a wonder we weren't all overweight, but I was built like a bean pole back then. Skinny Lizzy is what my Dad called me. Mind you, we didn't have a TV or video games and so we spent our time running around and exploring in the woods so we didn't gain weight.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Sun 27 Jul 2003 15:01 GMT

My favourite school dinner pudding was Chocolate Pudding and Pink Custard! Remember that???

Bet they couldn't do that one anymore, I guess th efood colouring would have "adverse effects" on the little darling :twisted:

Pudding was always "Wait and see and custard" in our house :lol:

We were always very suspicious of bowls with (just) custard in - it always meant that last weeks stale Swiss Roll was lurking underneath.

Mondays was cold joint (!) and bubble and sqeak and Branston Pickle.

You ar enot my long lost sister are you Liz?? :lol: :lol:

squiffs
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Sun 27 Jul 2003 15:18 GMT

Actually, I have 3 sisters - but maybe you are my long lost brother!!

Where did you grow up?

Most of my life I lived in Purley. When I was about 3 we lived in Compton Dando - during the war and then Bournemouth for a little while, but we moved to Purley when I was about 4 I think and we lived there until I got married and came to Canada.

I doubt you went to the same school as me becuase I went to Whyteleafe Grammar School for GIRLS!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Sun 27 Jul 2003 15:42 GMT

lizwil98 wrote:Actually, I have 3 sisters - but maybe you are my long lost brother!!

Where did you grow up?

Most of my life I lived in Purley. When I was about 3 we lived in Compton Dando - during the war and then Bournemouth for a little while, but we moved to Purley when I was about 4 I think and we lived there until I got married and came to Canada.

I doubt you went to the same school as me becuase I went to Whyteleafe Grammar School for GIRLS!!
Nope, surprisingly not!

Grew up and went to school in Leatherhead - Poplar Road Primary and Therfield County Secondary School. :lol:

BTW was not alive in the war................. unless you mean the Vietnem one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Sun 27 Jul 2003 16:51 GMT

Well - not too far away from Purley.

I meant WW2 - not the Crimean!!!
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Sun 27 Jul 2003 20:40 GMT

Childhood favorites?

In England: Grandma's treat - bread & butter with Nestles Full Cream Condensed Milk, or bread spread with butter & sugar

In East Africa: grenadillas, mangoes.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Squiffy » Mon 28 Jul 2003 08:39 GMT

lizwil98 wrote:Well - not too far away from Purley.

I meant WW2 - not the Crimean!!!

I knew that :twisted: :twisted:
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Mon 28 Jul 2003 17:15 GMT

I must be related to Mike too!!! We used to like going to Aunty Betty's because she let us have sugar sandwiches or condensed milk sandwiches and Heinz Salad Cream sandwiches. My Mom made us eat "sensible" food!!
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Return to Chinwags