It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:39 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

What is this?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

What is this?

Postby Purley » Mon 28 Jul 2003 19:22 GMT

My sister has gone to France for her holidays. They are staying in a village and the nearest town is Poitiers. So I was checking out Poitiers on the Net.

Up came this picture - I could find out nothing about it. Maybe Mike knows what it is?

There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Terry » Tue 29 Jul 2003 06:13 GMT

News obviously travels slowly in the colonies!

In 1998 there was a tremendous storm in the Poitiers region and many houses were badly damaged by giant hailstones, this is obviously one of these houses. At the time there was a theory that these weren't hailstones but giant mothballs! But as there have been no sightings of moths flying around crosslegged I think we can discount that one.

Poitiers is also famous for two other things, it was the place where I first fell in love and it also has the Futuroscope theme park.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Tue 29 Jul 2003 17:49 GMT

I haven't been to Poitiers, althogh it's not all that far from my home. I'd guess Terry has hit on the answer - if this is in the Futuroscope park, it's probably an I-Max cinema. Give me a few minutes to check.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Tue 29 Jul 2003 18:03 GMT

Yep. A line drawing of that building features on the futuroscope home page. Have you been there, Terry? Is it an I-Max cinema (there are several in France - the one I know is at la Villette, in Paris, near St Denis)
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Rich » Tue 29 Jul 2003 19:40 GMT

Is it an I-Max cinema

Yes I'm fairly sure it is, but not sure which one (they've got 5 or 6 different IMAX theatres on the site) of differnt sorts. Think at least 2/3 were the first in world of their sort.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Terry » Tue 29 Jul 2003 19:52 GMT

Yes, I have been there and it was quite a good day out. It is amazing how the brain can be fooled by underseat screens and moving chairs.

As for the ex love of my life she was long gone by the time Futuroscope came on the scene, but my thanks to Lizwil for bringing back some damn fine memories!!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Return to Chinwags