It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:42 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

If....

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

If you could be just one, would you choose to be:

Richer
80%
Famous
No votes
More physically attractive
No votes
More intelligent
13%
None, I'm already perfect
7%

Total votes : 15

If....

Postby Kay » Tue 29 Jul 2003 11:34 GMT

What would you change if you could? Poll
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 29 Jul 2003 13:35 GMT

Interesting poll Kay.

For my part, I admit to going for the richer category. However, that should be put in context - I'm not talking about vast sums of money here. If I got a one off 10000gbp for example, I could pay of my student loans, pay my missing nat insurance contributions (for a year abroad) and have a bit left over. And that would do me just fine. If I had that done I wouldn't really want to change anything (i am nowhere near perfect, and don't want to be. I'm happy being me, and just prefer to have no debts)!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Squiffy » Tue 29 Jul 2003 13:47 GMT

Yep, I poster for richer too, but woul dhave preferred a "Healthy" Option - and no Rich, not lowfat wholemeal option :lol: :wink:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 29 Jul 2003 14:04 GMT

The healthier option occurred to me after I'd made the poll. I could go back and change it but I don't know if you'd be able to change your votes.

I also voted to be richer - and, like you, not for vast sums. What we want is enough for a secure future, living where we want to live and doing what we want to do. The dream is to live in Thailand and do web design and marketing - we're learning all we can to try to make it a reality.

I dithered for a while over voting for being more intelligent, on the basis that it would be nice to be more clever and the money might flow from that anyway. (Probably not!) But I have enough trouble, as someone elsewhere on here put it, not suffering fools gladly that I'd probably only be miserable if I had more brains. :roll:

Thanks for your responses! :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby HesitationKills » Tue 29 Jul 2003 14:05 GMT

I voted for richer purely because there wasn't a 'filthy richer' category. Or 'disgustingly' or 'obscenely'.

I've heard people say they wouldn't know what to do with a 10m lottery win, and would continue to work!!!!! Jees.......... :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 29 Jul 2003 14:19 GMT

I wouldn't have a problem knowing what to do with a £10 million windfall. I'd be on the first flight to Thailand. As for continuing to work, these people amaze me - and they're usually the ones in boring jobs too. :shock:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Tue 29 Jul 2003 14:47 GMT

Yep, 10million squid and I would be gone in a cloud of dust! :lol: Course, it wouldn't change me :wink:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Tue 29 Jul 2003 15:09 GMT

I voted for richer too. I think I wouldn't want to win millions and millions. I think if you have too much money it makes you selfish becuase you can do anything you want and you have to consider nobody and you end up with nobody!

I would like enough money to pay off any debts - make some changes to our house and buy my sons fancier houses than they already have - new cars all around and some left over for the rest of my family.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 29 Jul 2003 15:20 GMT

Sounds good, Liz. :D

You've also raised some new questions in my mind:

"What would you do with £10 million?"

"What would you do with £1 million?" etc

Oh, wow! Where to start?

Need to think about these... :?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 29 Jul 2003 18:21 GMT

Well, since I'm jobless at the moment I could certainly do with some enrichment... :wink:

If I won £1million I'd probably invest the bulk of it. If I won £10million I'd make sure that family and friends were well taken care of, to start with, and then I'd buy a very large sea-going yacht and never stop travelling...
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Tue 29 Jul 2003 18:51 GMT

So far, we've all voted for Richer - though, like squiffs, I'd have voted for healthier/fitter if that were on the list. Most of us are also really only thinking about having our debts cleared - but I'm willing to bet that we'd just accumulate a new lot soon after. If not, we probably wouldn't be where we are now in financial terms. (We all work for hire, don't we? So we'll never be rich unless we break out of that mould - and one way to start doing that is to create other streams of income that run in parallel with our 'proper' jobs).

I can sympathise with CustomStrat's yearning to cut loose on a yacht, but I certainly wouldn't get a large one. Once you do that, you have to pay and manage a crew, and even plan ahead where you are going to berth the thing each time you come ashore. THAT's not freedom.

OK, Kay. How about starting a number of threads: What would you do with 10,000 - 100,000 - 1million - 10million -100million? Make people think a bit.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Rich » Tue 29 Jul 2003 19:48 GMT

So far, we've all voted for Richer ..... If not, we probably wouldn't be where we are now in financial terms.

So perhaps that says something about why we're expats. We're all running from the debt collectors!?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 29 Jul 2003 23:33 GMT

chabrenas, I was thinking of something just big enough to be a floating home and strong enough to handle all weather eventualities... :wink:
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Jul 2003 06:00 GMT

OK, Kay. How about starting a number of threads: What would you do with 10,000 - 100,000 - 1million - 10million -100million? Make people think a bit.

Mike, you're a mind reader! I got up and planned to do just that, only to find that you've suggested it! Ah well, it just goes to show what a good "babysitter" you are.

OK let's do it.

Kay :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 2 Aug 2003 17:09 GMT

Boring, I know... I voted for the "Richer" option but would have gone for healthier if it was on offer. And, like others, enough to give me financial peace of mind would do - though I'm sure I could find ways of spending any surplus :wink:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chinwags