It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:46 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

A neat photo!

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

A neat photo!

Postby Purley » Tue 29 Jul 2003 18:53 GMT

Junstions of the M25 and M23 taken from above.

Came from the BBC website - for more look here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/in_ ... 059875.stm
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Rich » Tue 29 Jul 2003 19:50 GMT

i've got a great one of the magic roundabout somewhere (an "interesting development" for those of you who have been away more than 6 or 7 years. It's at work, and if somebody reminds me tomorrow, i'll post it up.

It's as good a reason as any to go with the Americvan idea and put traffic lights everywhere instead!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Purley » Tue 29 Jul 2003 22:46 GMT

Here you are Rich - save you looking. A friend of mine sent this to me a while ago.

The article is interesting too - here it is

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Rich » Wed 30 Jul 2003 08:05 GMT

Wonderful. Cheers Liz. The photo I had was the one in Hemel, but same idea. I have friends in Swindon and occassionally used to take some beers on our way into town for an evening and sit and watch for 20mins or so. It's alwayts funny when these people have never seen it before suddnley appear and have no idea what the heck to do!
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby chabrenas » Wed 30 Jul 2003 11:17 GMT

I've driven the Hemel one a couple of times - easier when there's a fair amount of traffic, provided you know where your exit is!! Anyone done Paris/Place de la Concorde at a busy time? Think the same concept, without many lines in the road. Someone told me he saw it jammed solid once - and the gendarme jus walked round putting tickets on every windscreen and then left the scene.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 30 Jul 2003 13:49 GMT

Someone told me he saw it jammed solid once - and the gendarme jus walked round putting tickets on every windscreen and then left the scene.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sound's about right!

I refuse to drive in Paris. It's just not worth it! Although it's not fancy at all, Arc De Triomph at peak hours looks fun as well.
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Magic Roundabouts

Postby scullen » Wed 30 Jul 2003 15:57 GMT

I have to say that having driven in Britain and in Canada where I now live, I find the British system of roundabouts the best as I have found that it keeps the traffic flowing and if you miss your turn off, you just keep going around and around and around until you get it right or until you actually want to leave the roundabout!

In Canada they have 4-way stops and when it comes to tackling the intersection nobody seems to know who got to the stop sign first, or rather they don't want to know - basically I've found it's just a free-for-all!! You know, you pull up to the stop sign and almost stop but not quite - and then you just gun it to get thru the sign before anybody else tries to do the same - it's a nightmare and it takes soooo much time especially in rush hour! I wish they'd put more roundabouts in - anyone else agree? :roll:
Posted by:
scullen

Postby chabrenas » Wed 30 Jul 2003 16:29 GMT

South Africa has the 4-way system, too - in some cases at the intersection of two 4-lane (2 each way) highways with 120 kph speed limits. Hairy.

Botswana, in theory, uses the same highway code as S Africa. The problem is that very few drivers understand it, and most of those that do take a 'when in Rome....' approach. The rule that caases most trouble is the one that says a light-controlled junction whose lights have failed defaults to a 4-way. Even when a police car parked at the intersection and used its public address system to tell people this in English, Afrikaans and Setswana, it was still a free-for-all.

The worst accident that didn't happen that I have seen yet occurred as I pulled up to await my turn at 2-lanes-each way intersection with defunct lights. Traffic wasn't dense, so I was alone in my road excep for a guy about 200 metres behind me. As the car entering the intersection from my right began to move forward (it was his turn), this guy shot past me doing about 120kph and still accelerating.

This place provides a serious test of your defensive driving skills...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

S. Africa

Postby scullen » Wed 30 Jul 2003 16:40 GMT

Yes, I've also driven in S. Africa - last year in fact when visiting a friend in Jo'burg and you're right - you need to have eyes at the back of your head to drive there - very scary - rules don't seem to apply to anything out there I noticed!! Beautiful country though; I will be going back for a visit and another safari.
Posted by:
scullen

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Jul 2003 19:54 GMT

Here in India, as in many other countries - unlike the UK where drivers coming on to a roundabout must give way to the right - it used to be the case where the cars coming onto the roundabout have right of way.

But they're trying to change it to give way to those already on the roundabout. They have signs saying "give way to traffic on the right" etc.

The problem is, though, that these signs are mostly in English and most drivers probably can't read English, even if they're literate in their own language. And also, it's just a huge load of confusion because no one knows what the other drivers are likely to do.

I'm not a good driver, although I've had to manage to drive myself around in some awful places. (Hope Tim [on the Malta board] doesn't read this and remember how I smashed the rear lights on his 'rover.)

We hire a driver, who is well worth the salary we pay him. He's fairly cautious and ends up giving way to everyone on the roundabouts. Fair enough, he's playing safe. But even as a very nervous passenger, there's times when I think that I'd have accelerated out of the situation, rather than being as non-assertive as he is.

Oh well, he's really not bad, he very rarely scares me, and for a vegetarian he's not bad on the BBQ either. :D But that's another story.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu 31 Jul 2003 07:12 GMT

and for a vegetarian he's not bad on the BBQ either. But that's another story.

It's a sad day when our Dips are having to resort to canibalism
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 31 Jul 2003 08:50 GMT

It's a sad day when our Dips are having to resort to canibalism

:lol:

I think BBQs are a man-thing. He wouldn't dream of touching anything in the kitchen, but when I do a BBQ the minute I turn my back he's in there cooking the stuff. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu 31 Jul 2003 09:47 GMT

I think BBQs are a man-thing.

Yes. Not entirely sure why, but as soon as you get a BBQ going, there's a crowd of men around "helping out" with the cooking etc. If it were an indoors dinner party, you might have one or two, but most would have no interest in helping in the kitchen at all. Think it's probably something to do with primevel instincts about cooking on a open fire.
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 31 Jul 2003 10:15 GMT

Talking of dinner parties, Dave came home at lunchtime and said that we'd been invited out next week. And, by the way, would I mind going round earlier to cook it? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I said yes.)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Thu 31 Jul 2003 12:14 GMT

Kay wrote:Talking of dinner parties, Dave came home at lunchtime and said that we'd been invited out next week. And, by the way, would I mind going round earlier to cook it? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I said yes.)

Brilliant! What time should we all get there? :twisted:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Next

Return to Chinwags