It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 03:46 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

What would you do with £1,000,000?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

What would you do with £1,000,000?

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Jul 2003 20:16 GMT

Oh yes, now we're really talking. Unleash your dreams here. I just don't know where to start! Gotta think about it...

:D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Victor » Thu 31 Jul 2003 06:54 GMT

1. Buy a house (Discount for cash?)
1a. Buy a second house somewhere different for holiday use.
2. Stop work for a while and go on a world cruise.
3. Get a decent camera set up and learn to use it professionally to make a small income.
4. Invest some for a decent pension.
5. Upgrade cars.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Rich » Thu 31 Jul 2003 07:30 GMT

Hmm. In fairness, mine's probably not far different to 100k but with the numbers just x10.

150k pay of parent mortgage plus lump for them
250k in a decent interest account - Can then live of the interest alone, so never touch anything else.
575k into investments of one sort or another
25k to splurge
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Kay » Thu 31 Jul 2003 08:42 GMT

I'd pay a professional to take care of the money/investments side of things and concern myself with the splurging bit.

A luxury round the world cruise would do for starters, then maybe some overland travel. Luxury train journeys would be good or we could convert one of these big luxury coaches - make the upper deck into sleeping and living accommodation for us, and the downstairs into a kitchen and bunks for the driver and maid. :D Maybe we wouldn't have a maid if the driver could be persuaded to wash the dishes.

I'm just wondering how we'd fix up an Internet connection, though, as I don't think we could live without one.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Victor » Thu 31 Jul 2003 12:18 GMT

Kay wrote:I'm just wondering how we'd fix up an Internet connection, though, as I don't think we could live without one.

No problem. Internet over Satellite!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 31 Jul 2003 12:27 GMT

No problem. Internet over Satellite!

Of course! But my first thought was that it would be too expensive!!! And here's me with a million pounds to spend! :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Thu 31 Jul 2003 16:32 GMT

Most importantly - KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT. If possible, get my mystery benefactor (or lottery) to hold off payment until I have created a discretionary trust into which to pay it. Never let it appear as my personal wealth. The (professional) trust fund manager should be able to get a decent return on a million quid, and reinvest it, while I take my time discussing with the other trustees (wife and two sons) what we should do.

Let's leave it at that for the moment while I collect a few ideas.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Chinwags