It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:23 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Bugs

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Squiffy » Sun 3 Aug 2003 19:41 GMT

nora wrote:I had occassion to go into the city two weeks ago while the spouse had some medical tests done prior to surgery. It was the day i had grandson number one for a "sleepover with Grandma" ,so he came along with Grandpa and i. After a wait of an hour or so he was getting a bit restless so i suggested we go to the natural history museum which was just across the street from the hospital. He enjoyed the snakes and fish, really liked the native displays and we had a wonderful couple of hours. As we walked toward the butterfly house, we saw that a cooking demonstration was just beginning. We were all settled in to watch when i noticed the sign saying it wold be an edible bug cooking class!! Yep, they cooked up a batch of mealworms :vomit: which for some reason only the youngsters tried...most of the adults used the same excuse i did... "i'd love to, but i just ate lunch and couldn't eat another bug...er...thing if i tried" . At the gift shop near the exit we DID stop in and Grandma was persuaded to buy a present for the other siblings...a bag of barbeque-flavoured mealworms...and some chocolate-covered ants for Mom :wink:

Oh boy, I would love to have seen their faces when you got home..........tee hee, can't wait to brign that one up at the dinner table in November :wink:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby justajester » Sun 3 Aug 2003 23:01 GMT

Yes, it it definitely dinner table conversation... :roll: I'll pick up another package for you next time i'm in halifax if u like. :wink: They also have suckers (lollys?) made with butterflies in them...want some?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Mon 4 Aug 2003 07:24 GMT

nora wrote:Yes, it it definitely dinner table conversation... :roll: I'll pick up another package for you next time i'm in halifax if u like. :wink: They also have suckers (lollys?) made with butterflies in them...want some?

Err, no thanks Nora, I left my bug-eating days behind with my survival training many years ago :lol:
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Aug 2003 10:00 GMT

We've just had a tannoy alert - there's a monkey loose on the compound. :roll:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Tue 19 Aug 2003 14:45 GMT

Kay wrote:We've just had a tannoy alert - there's a monkey loose on the compound. :roll:

Dammit, I told you to padlock Dave's door last night :twisted:
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Aug 2003 16:14 GMT

LOL! Well, I didn't even see the monkey but I notice the kitchen is crawling with ants again. Time for another fumigation. :(
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Tue 19 Aug 2003 19:35 GMT

I notice the kitchen is crawling with ants again

It's just beginning to warm up here, so I'll be on ant and fly watch any day now. Do they have Chinese Chalk in India? You just draw a line on the wall with it - I shudder to think what's in it.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby annie » Tue 19 Aug 2003 22:03 GMT

Lizwil 98 - you'll have to get yourself a duck - they LOVE to eat grasshoppers!

Squiffy: Don't think you would get bitten by a bear during the winter 'cause that's when they hibernate :lol:

We have blackflies and mozzies here - of course the mozzies are now carrying West Nile Virus :shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
annie
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 20 Aug 2003 03:05 GMT

Do they have Chinese Chalk in India? You just draw a line on the wall with it - I shudder to think what's in it.

No, although I have heard of the stuff. We have guys come round to fumigate and it puts the room(s) out of action for a day. I prefer to have it done while we're on holiday but with the amount of ants we're getting I don't think we can wait that long.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Wed 20 Aug 2003 06:25 GMT

annie wrote:Squiffy: Don't think you would get bitten by a bear during the winter 'cause that's when they hibernate :lol:

Tee hee - you haven't met JaJ/Nora have you :lol: A 9 foot grizzle with a sore head has nothing on her at 8.00am before her first cup of coffee :twisted:

<Runs away very quickly>
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Wed 20 Aug 2003 18:02 GMT

It's just beginning to warm up here

WHAT AM I SAYING? Yesterday it was 10 Celsius at breakfast and topped 30 for the first time at midday. Today the maximum temperature was 15 degrees, and it's been snowing in the Cape wine district. But there's been no rain so a lot of wheat has been lost and reservoirs that should be at least 85% full are just over 60%. There is gong to be water rationing in Cape Town. (They're already on garden hose restrictions).
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 20 Aug 2003 19:51 GMT

Squiffy wrote:
annie wrote:Squiffy: Don't think you would get bitten by a bear during the winter 'cause that's when they hibernate :lol:

Tee hee - you haven't met JaJ/Nora have you :lol: A 9 foot grizzle with a sore head has nothing on her at 8.00am before her first cup of coffee :twisted:

<Runs away very quickly>

*SMACK* You called? Annie, don' tbelieve a word he says...i am alwayspleasant and happy...well, most of the time...ok, he's right, i am NOT a morning type by nature (give me caffeine or face imminent torture :twisted: ) now, Squiffy, if you could just have that coffeee READY when i get up all would be perfect :wink:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Thu 21 Aug 2003 05:56 GMT

justajester2003 wrote:
Squiffy wrote:

<Runs away very quickly>

*SMACK* You called? Annie, don' tbelieve a word he says...i am alwayspleasant and happy...well, most of the time...ok, he's right, i am NOT a morning type by nature (give me caffeine or face imminent torture :twisted: ) now, Squiffy, if you could just have that coffeee READY when i get up all would be perfect :wink:

I will try my best my sweet :lol: I have three months to practice :lol:
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Previous

Return to Chinwags