It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:08 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

When the lights went out...

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

When the lights went out...

Postby justajester » Fri 15 Aug 2003 13:14 GMT

i hope all the ex-pats in eastern U.S. and Ontario are ok. :(
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Fri 15 Aug 2003 14:03 GMT

Ofcourse, they won't be able to read that unless they have batery powered puters.................... :P
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Purley » Fri 15 Aug 2003 14:08 GMT

Good one!!

I bet there were some hot people down east. I think lots of people down there live in high rise apartments and probably lots of them have windows that dont open!

On the CNN news it showed people milling about the streets - home was too hot to stay there!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Fri 15 Aug 2003 14:21 GMT

Typical Americans though - oh, the train/bus/car is not going anywhere, I will risk life and limb and sleep here on the street instead of walking the two miles home.............
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 15 Aug 2003 15:30 GMT

I know - crazy wasn't it. Couldn't believe they even declared a curfew.
I can just see them getting away with that in Europe. "You can't go out my little mignons- 'coz it's dark."

Jeez, it's only the colour of the air guys :wink:

Alan.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Squiffy » Fri 15 Aug 2003 15:31 GMT

Savannah_Alan wrote:I know - crazy wasn't it. Couldn't believe they even declared a curfew.
I can just see them getting away with that in Europe. "You can't go out my little mignons- 'coz it's dark."

Jeez, it's only the colour of the air guys :wink:

Alan.

Ah America, Land of the Free.............................. :?
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Not-Lorna » Fri 15 Aug 2003 16:23 GMT

Tut, tut, tut. Do I detect some American bashing here??
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby Victor » Fri 15 Aug 2003 16:43 GMT

Squiffy wrote:Ofcourse, they won't be able to read that unless they have batery powered puters.................... :P

But then the ISP probably wont be working, or other parts of the backbone :lol:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby iain » Fri 15 Aug 2003 20:33 GMT

It seems that many get their news from the Sun.

Here is a photo of the New Yorkers 'sleeping on the streets'.

Some people actually live more than two miles from their place of work, and with no trains and no hotel rooms, they had little choice. However, not many stayed on the street long as most were offered a place by other New Yorkers.

The biggest story of this event is the way New Yorkers handled the situation. Sarcastic comments by people who have never been here aside.
Posted by:
iain

Postby Kay » Fri 15 Aug 2003 20:51 GMT

That's a great photo, Iain. And an interesting observation on what's actually happening.

Hope you continue to keep us informed. (And thanks also for keeping the photo to a reasonable size.)

Looking forward to more like this.

BTW, Dave and I have been to NY, but only on holiday. We loved it, not least because of the amazing food available, but weren't too chuffed that Dave was refused a drink without proof of being over 21 when he was 31 at the time. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby iain » Fri 15 Aug 2003 22:16 GMT

I was at a baseball game recently and sent a friend to get a round of beers (it was his shout after all) and he came back empty handed because he did not have ID.

He is over 50!!!!!

Getting back to New York, there were only three reports of burglaries yesterday, I think that this is a remarkable figure, even for a city with full power. When I called the police to ask if volunteers were needed, they told me that the biggest problem was that their phone lines were jammed by people calling to volunteer.

Here are some more photos from CNN.

New Yorkers stuck on a subway (tube) train being led to safety.

People waiting to use a public phone (remember those) because all cell lines were jammed.

Another shot of people walking over the Brooklyn bridge.
Posted by:
iain

Postby iain » Fri 15 Aug 2003 22:23 GMT

Here is the best photo I could find to sum up the feelings of those in the city yesterday. Sorry if it is big, but i am a knuckledragger and don't know how to reduce it.

[Sorry, we had to remove the photo because of the size. Please keep the size of photos down, there are many of us who can't cope with the download time. Thanks.]
Posted by:
iain

Postby BrigieDarling » Fri 15 Aug 2003 23:03 GMT

Most of Cnnecticut lost power too! But, being just north of Fairfield county I was saved from an evening of playing Monopoly with the kids by candle light! =) :twisted:
Posted by:
BrigieDarling

Postby Squiffy » Sat 16 Aug 2003 22:10 GMT

Lorna wrote:Tut, tut, tut. Do I detect some American bashing here??

What here? Never :twisted:

We was just joshing. Honest Guv :lol:

Squiffy - who not only has been to New York, but actually has American (god bless 'em) friends there :P :P
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Sun 17 Aug 2003 18:35 GMT

Forgive this guy in the boondocks who doesn't have a telly, but what happened? Looks like a cascade trip of Eastern Seaboard power distribution. That happened once when I was there - and there was a neat blip in the birthrate one gestation cycle later. Somebody did an estimate on the number of sprogs that were conceived in lifts (elevators)....
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Next

Return to Chinwags