It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:43 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

When the lights went out...

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby chabrenas » Mon 18 Aug 2003 14:49 GMT

My travel agent has just apologised for not contacting me on Friday to confirm my Joburg-Paris flight booking. He was busy sorting out clients all day. One poor fellow was half-way across the Atlantic when it happened - flew back to London, then took off again for JFK two hours later. Looks like JFK has standby generators for Air Traffic Control and ILS, but not for airlines' passenger-handling systems. Glad I missed out on this little adventure.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Vivien » Tue 19 Aug 2003 03:03 GMT

I wanted to shake each New Yorker by the hand. Good on you New York, you rose to the challenge.
Posted by:
Vivien

Postby justajester » Tue 19 Aug 2003 12:10 GMT

Vivien wrote:I wanted to shake each New Yorker by the hand. Good on you New York, you rose to the challenge.

I agree with you there, Vivien...the new Yorkers have had a lot to deal with in the last few years, and they have more than risen to it. A lot of folks would love to bash Americans in general and Yorkers in particular, but they sure have gumption...and in a city that size, they show a lot of compassion. Besides, that's what the very best of this board is...understanding, friendship and credit where credit it due. Hats off to our American brothers. :)
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Tim » Wed 20 Aug 2003 19:37 GMT

There's a satellite pic of the blackout doing the rounds. It looks very convincing, so I thought I'd put it on my website and give you all a link to see it. Figured I'd better check out the copyright situation first. The photo shows that it comes from ISAT GeoStar 45, which sounds like one of those surveillance satelites. I searched for it on Google. Nothing. Searched just for ISAT. Nothing relevant. Searched just for GeoStar. Nothing relevant.

Nada, nada, nada.

I smell a rat, but it's a good pic and you can see it at
http://sustainableimpact.com/britexpics/blackout/
until I decide to take it down in case someone legit does have copywrite.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Previous

Return to Chinwags