It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:24 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

The 10 Greatest Britons

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby chabrenas » Wed 20 Aug 2003 05:13 GMT

they sure as hell won't forget the state of it when we finally got rid of her!

Sadly, almost every person who wields great power hangs on well past their sell-by date. They usually arrive as the result of a need which they may or may not fulfill as the voters intended, but they very rarely say -'sorry folks, I'm not the person for this next phase....'

I have a theory that great 'drivers' adhere strongly to some simple, overriding theme. They don't listen to anyone, so when their theme becomes inappropriate they react in the wrong way.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 20 Aug 2003 05:22 GMT

chabrenas wrote:I have a theory that great 'drivers' adhere strongly to some simple, overriding theme. They don't listen to anyone, so when their theme becomes inappropriate they react in the wrong way.

How very insightful Mike. Appears a totally sound theory to me. Just wish I had said it :)

Alan.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Tim » Wed 20 Aug 2003 08:04 GMT

chabrenas wrote:Hm-m-m-m. For better or for worse?

Good point Mike. I was thinking Oliver Cromwell.

But the list is for the 10 *Greatest* Brits, not the 10 Most Significant, or the 10 Worstest.

Methinks Maggie could qualify in all three of those categories!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 23 Aug 2003 16:59 GMT

Mike wrote:Stan Laurel (now how many of you know he was a Scot?)

Eh? I always thought he was a Lancastrian (Ulverston, now in Cumbria)...
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SgtBhaji » Sat 23 Aug 2003 19:55 GMT

Well... I have to say that i'm absolutely stinging with rage that Nigel Mansell wasn't in there!!!!

Oh.....

And Graham Taylor. :shock:

Just kidding guys!!! don't hurt me!!!
Posted by:
SgtBhaji

Previous

Return to Chinwags