It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:06 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Rich's madcap scheme 2003-04.

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Tim » Mon 25 Aug 2003 21:06 GMT

Kay wrote:That journey was a bit stressful

A bit. Like it was 13 years ago and I still haven't got over it! I'd forgotten the rainbow, but now you mention it, I do remember!

Kay wrote: Tim was driving like a bat out of hell.

The kind of bat that gets mighty pissed off because it is being overtaken by fully laden petrol tankers GOING UPHILL!!! because the vehicle it's driving hasn't got any balls! Rich, you may be interested to know that it was a 1989 110 STW, pretty similar to the one you'll be using (Can't remember if it was a County). Except that in 1990, it was erm, only a year old! Even at the modest altitude of the Murree hills outside Islamabad, it struggled to go uphill. We were in a hurry to get to the airport and I remember seriously considering turning round and reversing up the hills (it's all mountain passes and stuff over there) because I had more power in reverse than in any forward gear! Something to do with the air intake - you might want to add it to Mike's list of things to check out.

Talking of gears, on another weekend drive (not with Kay), I had to drive about thirty miles home with only 3rd gear! That was a problem that intermittently affected all our vehicles (same models) and was something to do with a split-pin on the gate selector. Our drivers were dab hands at fixing it by the end of the project! It's surprsingly difficult to stay in 3rd gear for 30 miles on mosque/market day in rural Pakistan, especially going through a market town called Charsadda, and my passenger - MD of one of our UK consortium companies out on a jolly - ended up a nervous wreck! I quite enjoyed it, though.

T
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Tue 26 Aug 2003 19:48 GMT

And what he actually wanted was to discuss the latest English premier division football scores!

You'll probably have one or two experiences like that. My younger son was with a buddy in a Landy (a rather odd one - open top, 'desert pink' colour, V8 engine, fat tyres....) and they got a bit lost in northern Botswana after following a cut line and a game fence that weren't the ones they thought they were - and they'd forgotten to replace the battery in their GPS before they set out. Then they spotted a Botswana Defence Force Landy on anti-poaching duty. The soldiers were sitting around looking a bit frustrated, but they ended up doing an interesting trade and fixing both parties' problems:

"Yes. We'll tell you where you are if you let us have the football adaptor from your pump. Our ball had a puncture and we fixed it, but then we couldn't blow it up again."
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 27 Aug 2003 15:13 GMT

Cheers all. :D

Would be stupid for me to ignore such a wealth of experience so be warned (Especially Tim and Chabrenas) that i'm liable to start asking all sorts of stupid questions in the next couple of months :wink:

Wow, Rich, sound supurb! Got room in yer boot for one more? Or I could ride shotgun on the roof with an M-60... Won't be the first time...

Can always squeeze one more in, particularly one as heavily armed as that. My curiosity is properly aroused though - there has to be a good story there (visions of you sitting on the roof shooting everything that moves and playing the guitar at the same time!)

Does this mean you will be shooting through on the drink we were supposed to be having in Cologne?

Fat chance. Have been through 6 times in past 4 weeks, but never there longer than 20mins, or i'd have let you know and will still be around there quite a bit until then, so will be able to arrange something. Failing that, Köln is (sort of) on the way from Denmark to South Africa...

Rich, I just had another look around the landy-rtw site. Sorry for being so critical earlier, I had a terrible hangover at the time. It really looks fantastic. Are the graphics and logos all original? They look great. Whoever did these has a great talent.

Absolutely no problem. I much prefer people to say what they really think and not what they think I want to hear. I know the spellings need to be gone through and it's on my list to do! Graphics etc are all original, and done by Morten who 2 months ago had never worked on a website before, so there's hope for all us technophobes yet!

The kind of bat that gets mighty pissed off because it is being overtaken by fully laden petrol tankers GOING UPHILL!!! because the vehicle it's driving hasn't got any balls! Rich, you may be interested to know that it was a 1989 110 STW, pretty similar to the one you'll be using (Can't remember if it was a County). Except that in 1990, it was erm, only a year old!

I had to drive about thirty miles home with only 3rd gear

Yeah, we're not exactly going to be breaking any speed records, and half expecting us to end up with just 5th or reverse, or something equally helpful!

One Saturday we went to Prang. I don't think there was anything there

When i first read that i thought it said "one Saturday we had a Prang. I don't think there was anything there" and thinking about the delights of Land Rover engineering... :)

Yes. We'll tell you where you are if you let us have the football adaptor from your pump. Our ball had a puncture and we fixed it, but then we couldn't blow it up again

A couple of footballs are high on our list of things to bring along. Guessing a game with border gurads on occassions won't harm our chances :D
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Tim » Thu 28 Aug 2003 07:44 GMT

Rich wrote:...so be warned (Especially Tim and Chabrenas) that i'm liable to start asking all sorts of stupid questions in the next couple of months

No problem - you'll have noticed I give plenty of stupid answers on this board!

Here's another (and the question hasn't evn been asked yet!):

It's quite easy for things to slip out of bags and pockets, and end up in the mysterious cavity between the seat back and seat cushion! It's a good idea to know what's there before crossing international borders! I once received an anxious phone call from somebody in Quetta (who had been for a ride with me in Peshawar at the weekend) suggesting I give my landy a good once over before the driver came and started the week by, well, giving it a good once over. Luckily I found the cake of marijuana - size of a choclate bar - before he did! Can't remember if I ever gave it back to the original owner!

Tim
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Previous

Return to Chinwags