It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 08:47 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Popping in to say 'hello'

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Popping in to say 'hello'

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 15:21 GMT

Hi everyone

My name is Paul and I live in the UK. Kendal in South Cumbria, to be precise. I work in IT and travel, and have been involved with the web since the early days (1993).

Pleased to meet you all...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby Dave » Tue 5 Jan 2010 16:48 GMT

Nice to see you here, Paul. :-D

I've never been to Kendal - the closest I've ever been to the Lake District is by driving past on the M6. From what I've seen, definitely my loss!

Maybe next time Kay and I are in the UK we'll mosey on down/up - though as we're not planning to return to the UK until or unless we have to, that's not likely to happen any time soon. ;-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:06 GMT

Awwww, shame on you... you'd be back here in a shot if you had been. ;)

Hmm... OK, maybe not, but the scenery is beautiful. A bit more sun once in a while would be a bonus, though.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:09 GMT

Hi Paul

Great to have you here. :D

I think I have been to the Lake District. (My geography ain't great.) I had a stay in Cockermouth for a week or so while waiting to be sent out to one of these funny countries where I used to work. It's a beautiful area.

(It's almost as nice as Scotland. :twisted: )
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:18 GMT

Cockermouth's just down the road from the only "Lake" in the Lake District - Bassenthwaite Lake. (All the other bodies of water are "Waters", "Meres" or "Tarns".)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:38 GMT

Indeed. Always a good pub question, that one... 'how many lakes are there in the Lake District?' :twisted:
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 5 Jan 2010 18:08 GMT

I was "billeted" in a pub/guest house near Cockermouth and it was fantastic. They prided themselves on the terrific breakfasts they offered. I couldn't manage it (much, much too big for me) and it was kinda sad to see the disappointment on the chef/owner's face when I asked for just the toast, bacon and mushrooms or whatever.

He really wanted to give me the whole works, but I knew I wouldn't do it justice. Their breakfasts were superb. I wish I could remember the name of the place.

It was in the middle of nowhere. And then after closing time we got a "lock-in". Sometimes the owner would apologise that he had to go to bed. We stayed up and put our money into a pint pot every time we helped ourselves to a drink. I feel sure he didn't lose out. We were all very happy too. It was a really great place. :D
Last edited by Kay on Tue 5 Jan 2010 19:17 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 5 Jan 2010 18:42 GMT

Welcome Paul. I have been to Kendal. It's definitely about more than the mint cake - as scrummy as that is. :-)

I was there in the army while they were making us crawl/climb/abseil all over the lake district. Beautiful place.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Tue 5 Jan 2010 19:25 GMT

Bloody hell, Alan. I've known you for about ten years and now I find out that you were in the army. :shock:

Can I still pull rank on you? I made it to lance corporal (so did Hitler). I knew we had a lot of cops around this place but I didn't realise how many ex-troopers we had. :lol:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed 6 Jan 2010 02:01 GMT

I love the Lake District, wonderful place except for the bloody tourists. Had some good food and good drinks there over the years. I never went there in my army days, I was stuck at Catterick for 3 years but I did manage a couple of pub crawls through the dales to the Lake district.
Ahh, the good old days.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 05:19 GMT

Another skeleton out of the cupboard! :lol:

Hands up anyone who has NOT been in the army.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Wed 6 Jan 2010 06:46 GMT

My hand us up!
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Trev » Wed 6 Jan 2010 06:47 GMT

Up what you may ask, no, don't, :)
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 07:26 GMT

Aha, but you were a crabfat, aka civilians in uniform. :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 6 Jan 2010 07:39 GMT

Haha. I was a Para!

Having said that, my military "career" is really quite embarrassing. I wanted to join the army to further my musical career. My father was always telling me how the standard of music was so good.
Well, there was a mix up in the recruitment process and, when it came to swearing me in, I noticed they said "Infantryman" and not "Bandsman".
When I put them right about it, they made some frantic calls to see who needed a flute player (as that was my instrument at the time).

It turned out that the Parachute Regiment had such a requirement. :shock:
And, of course, just as I got in, the CO was having a drive on the band making the BFT.
We ran 10 and 14 miles courses carrying telegraph poles, stretchers full of rocks... we ran, and ran.
Musically, I went downhill rapidly (maybe due to the fact I had no bleeding breath left to blow the flute). :o

In short order, I found that I could hardly play the things I could before I joined up. I would have been, however, very efficient in running away from an irate audience carrying my gear. :D

I got out as soon as I could.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Next

Return to Chinwags