It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:52 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Popping in to say 'hello'

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 08:18 GMT

Paul has woken everyone up. What a great thread!

Paul: Dunnit - http://www.notdelia.co.uk/my-idea-of-se ... -heaven-1/

Part 2 to follow soon.

Alan: the first thing I thought of for you was bandsman. Had to laugh about your military "career" :crackup: I joined the army cos I was fed up of people telling me what to do and wanted to escape. How stupid is that?

So, you were a super-duper? A cherry berry. Better than being a crap hat anyway.

Ach, the army wasn't so bad. I think they had a worse time coping with me than I did coping with them. :twisted: Except for the 28 days in jail - I didn't like that very much, but it could've been worse. They used to let me out on litter-picking duties. That mainly consisted of spiking up used condoms with a pointy stick in the lane leading up to the womens' barracks.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 6 Jan 2010 09:22 GMT

Savannah_Alan wrote:In short order, I found that I could hardly play the things I could before I joined up. I would have been, however, very efficient in running away from an irate audience carrying my gear. :D

:crackup: Swings and roundabouts, Alan ;-)

My hand is also up.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Wed 6 Jan 2010 09:46 GMT

If it wasn't for the Royal Air Force you pongoes would have to march to all your overseas postings, and travel by the Royal Navy, then march some more. At least we can drop you off right over your intended destination.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 09:55 GMT

Trev:

Hah! We should be so lucky. You guys never helped us. I had to get the train to Liverpool (the one and only time I've been there - and had my suitcase nicked). Then I had to get on the Liverpool-Belfast ferry.

Where were you when I needed you? Drinking tea and discussing the application of Brylcreem with your mates?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Wed 6 Jan 2010 12:17 GMT

Kay wrote: Then I had to get on the Liverpool-Belfast ferry.

Think we probably decided that all that fresh air would be good for you, anyway a trip across the Irish Sea is always good for the complexion.

Kay wrote:
Drinking tea and discussing the application of Brylcreem with your mates?

More likely to be discussing our next jolly to the middle east or the frozen wastes somewhere near the arctic circle :)
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 14:10 GMT

...we probably decided that all that fresh air would be good for you, anyway a trip across the Irish Sea is always good for the complexion...

Yeah, it's great if you're Vulcan like Mr Spock or if you like green skin. I don't think I've ever been sea sick in my life before or since and I've been on loads of boats and ships. But I didn't half puke on that one. :vomit:

Bloody Irish! Never mind, I've forgiven them for their sea now I have an Irish passport and am proud to be an Irish citizen. :drink:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 6 Jan 2010 18:05 GMT

Ooh. 28 days in an army Jail. Doesn't sound much fun.

Oh yes, don't ya just love the Irish channel? That and the Bay of Biscay. :bleh:
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Jan 2010 20:49 GMT

I'll never forget it, Alan. It was a tiny room with yellow walls, a little bed with a "mattress" like a roll of felt and a little window high up in the wall. It was the Queen's Silver Jubilee and there were loads of celebrations going on. I was jumping up and down on the bed trying to see what was going on outside. I guess they didn't need me on litter-picking that day.

I don't mind. It was sh!t at the time but it didn't harm me and I still have quite fond memories of being in the army. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby esmerelsa » Sat 30 Jan 2010 04:50 GMT

Lake District, well yes exceptionally beautiful in the scenic stakes, BUT it rains almost every day (and please Paul don't deny this) i don't live too far away and i have never, ever been to The Lakes in my entire life where it hasn't started to rain at some point!!! We have even come home early cos we have been sick and fed up of getting wet with nowhere to dry that amount of clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So simply take lots and lots of changes of clothes to accomadate the changes of season in 1 hour (not 1day!!!)

Well worth a visit, just remember it RAINS persistantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
esmerelsa
Free member

Postby ruggie » Sat 30 Jan 2010 14:48 GMT

Wife (well, fiancee at that time) [and I - how did I forget the most important bit?] hit Kendal mid evening and found it was full. Some kind of conference, or something? Eventually found a friendly B&B with a reverse-housetrained sheep. Started off as an orphan lamb in the kitchen, and always came back to leave droppings.

I have a friend who lives on the hill above the church in Blawith (Ulverston). It didn't rain when I went there at Easter: we got snowed in. Love the place.
Last edited by ruggie on Tue 30 Mar 2010 09:37 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Kendal is Great

Postby chocolatemouse » Sun 14 Feb 2010 10:43 GMT

Hi Paul,
Kendal's a wonderful place, we used to go there every year at Easter time for our holidays. The thought of it brings the smell of Easter eggs to mind...
Posted by:
chocolatemouse

Postby CustomStrat » Sun 14 Feb 2010 16:27 GMT

I never made it to the Lake District although one of my oldest mates is from Appleby. His parents lived in Appleby Castle in some sort of custodial residency. His father (purportedly a British spy during WWII and subsequently attached to the British Embassy in Athens) passed away some years ago but I don't know if his mother still lives in the Castle...

My hand's up for not being in the army but I was in the US Air Farce... Photo air-recon, dangling out the side of a Bell UH-1 over the lush green hostility of sunny southeast Asia...getting shot at for taking photos and loathing every minute of it... :roll:
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Mon 15 Feb 2010 11:55 GMT

How'd you manage that, Strat? You weren't born in the place. Surely you didn't volunteer?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 16 Feb 2010 01:31 GMT

Actually, I was born in New York City. I have Anglo-American dual citizenship. I enlisted in the USAF to avoid being drafted into the army at the height of the war in Vietnam. I thought the air force would keep me out of harm's way. Little did I know... :?
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 16 Feb 2010 06:18 GMT

:shock: Oh dear. :)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chinwags