It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 07:58 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Magnus Magnusson... wasn't

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Magnus Magnusson... wasn't

Postby Dave » Thu 21 Jan 2010 16:34 GMT

Something I'd never realised was that Magnus Magnusson's parents decided to follow UK naming conventions rather than Icelandic ones when naming him, possibly because his father Sigursteinn was Icelandic consul in Edinburgh at the time (although Magnus was born in Iceland).

Probably a wise decision in the circumstances. It could all have been very different - Mastermind presented by Magnus Sigursteinsson doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? :lol:

And how about Songs of Praise presented by Sally Magnusdottir? (Though of course she wouldn't have been called Sally anyway - Icelandic doesn't have a letter Y, so the name wouldn't have been acceptable.) The Icelanders are very strict about what names they will and won't allow - just as they are about what words they will and won't allow in their language.

But that's got to be better than the New Zealanders' approach. Remember the nine-year-old kid 18 months back who was made a ward of court so that she could change her name from Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii? And that was just one of several weird names that NZ officials have allowed, including Midnight Chardonnay and No. 16 Bus Shelter.

Have you met any people whose parents must have had a really warped sense of humour?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Fri 22 Jan 2010 07:08 GMT

I worked with a guy named Richard Head, usually known as Dicky, it was back in the 70's though.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Tue 26 Jan 2010 17:23 GMT

I wasn't that enthusiastic when my wife gave our second son the name Jocelyn, although she said it was not just a girl's name and I knew there was a wellknown Hambro called Jocelyn.

I decided to give him Guy as a second name in case he couldn't carry off her choice successfully, but I needn't have worried. He never had a problem, although he was allotted to a flat full of girls in his first year at university. Since the girls didn't mind - in fact, they didn't want to lose him because he enjoyed cooking - the warden left him there after he found out his mistake.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 26 Jan 2010 18:57 GMT

I think Jocelyn is a lovely name. There was a BBC drama where one of the main characters had that name. :?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 28 Jan 2010 12:09 GMT

This wasn't around when Joce was born. Interesting.
http://www.behindthename.com/name/jocelyn
Must show it to Phyll, who wasn't harking back to the Teutonic line in her ancestry when she chose it.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 28 Jan 2010 15:55 GMT

Johnny Cash springs to mind

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 28 Jan 2010 17:01 GMT

One of our best mates in Bangkok is (an American) called Lynn. I called him Len for ages before I realised that his name really was Lynn. He is probably one of the least effeminate men I've ever met in my whole life. :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 28 Jan 2010 17:08 GMT

I've been warned about blokes in Bangkok called names like Lynn...
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby esmerelsa » Sat 30 Jan 2010 04:59 GMT

It probably wasn't spelt Lynn, but more like Lin which (even in the U.K)

has a different feeling and meaning.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
esmerelsa
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 30 Jan 2010 07:56 GMT

No, definitely Lynn - that's how he spells it himself.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 30 Jan 2010 13:59 GMT

I guess the double 'l' rules out Lyndon, then.

I've just remembered a good-looking blonde girl I knew in my youth, called Rosslyn. Her father named her after Rosslyn Park...
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags