It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:59 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Pie n mash

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Pie n mash

Postby Catlady64 » Wed 17 Feb 2010 17:06 GMT

Hi All, I am a newbie.

just a quick question, has anyone who lives in Britain ever found a pie and mash shop outside London?

Lesley
Posted by:
Catlady64

Postby Dave » Wed 17 Feb 2010 17:19 GMT

Hi, Lesley, and welcome. :-)

I can't say I've ever come across one outside London - when I moved down there from the Midlands in 1991, they were a new thing to me. To be honest, I don't think I ever went in one, even though there was one a couple of hundred yards down Streatham High Road from where I lived.

I think the idea of the "green liquor" put me off :lol:

If you're interested in foodie-type stuff, there's plenty more on the Food and Drink board. Kay is a real foodie!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Catlady64 » Wed 17 Feb 2010 18:14 GMT

Hi Dave,

And thank you very much for the warm welcome. I have now found the food and drink forum, silly me.

Lesley :oops:
Posted by:
Catlady64

Postby Kay » Wed 17 Feb 2010 18:57 GMT

Hi Lesley

Welcome from me too. :D

If you can't get pie 'n' mash where you are (where are you by the way?) then you'll have to DIY. I'll have a go and see what I can come up with.

I've only ever been in a pie 'n' mash place once in my whole life so I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing on this project. I'm Scottish, so at least I have a lot more sense than Dave, who is a sort-of Brummie.

Dave, the green liquor is some kind of sauce made from parsley and is rather nice.

I had plenty of fun and games trying to create a reasonably authentic meal for Burns Night. See http://www.notdelia.co.uk/a-delicious-v ... an-haggis/

I don't know what Dave means when he describes me as being a "real foodie" - perhaps he means I'm not some sort of plastic one made somewhere in the Far East. :lol:

Don't worry, Lesley. You're in safe hands. We'll get pie 'n' mash sorted for you one way or t'other. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 18 Feb 2010 18:39 GMT

Pie 'n mash with parsley sauce, yuk, thank god i never seen one of these outlets, Northerners have pie/pudding, chips and gravy which is one of my favourite fast food meals, ask in London for gravy and your looked at as if your some sort of alien, even mushy peas are rare. Dave out of interest do brummie chippies serve gravy or is it strictly a northern thing?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 18 Feb 2010 18:43 GMT

It's reasonably widespread in the Midlands, Dave. Curry sauce is probably more popular, though. It is with me, anyway. :D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 18 Feb 2010 18:49 GMT

That's interesting Dave, battered fish, chips and curry sauce is my daughters favourite, Malta is even worse than the south, even pie and chips is off the menu, pie is considered a snack here. sad :cry:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 18 Feb 2010 19:13 GMT

Dave, I'll take this up on the F&D board. :)

Lesley, whereabouts are you? And where are/were your London haunts?

Before moving to London in 1991 I'd already got the message that Sarf of the river was somewhere worse than Dante's seventh circle of Hell. However, I'd already spent a short while living in Colindale near the Grahame Park estate, and I knew friends living in Harlesden and Archway, and I didn't fancy either of those very much - to me North London felt like a place where people slept, rather than where they lived.

As luck had it, I ended up living in Streatham Common and was pretty happy there. And when Kay was house-hunting in London in early 1997 at the end of our first stint overseas together I pointed her firmly in the direction of South London. She found us a great two-and-a-half bedroom house in Hackbridge, on the outer edge of Zone 4 just north-east of Sutton.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags