It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 08:59 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Breaking out of the Solar System

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Breaking out of the Solar System

Postby Dave » Sun 7 Mar 2010 17:00 GMT

Just seen this on the BBC News website:

Revel in the wonder of the Solar System

The piece doesn't start off particularly promisingly, but it gets better as it goes on - and the stuff about the Voyager craft and their ongoing journey is pretty staggering.

Amazing to think that Voyager 1 is now ten thousand million miles away from the Earth - and that the data received from it takes 15 hours to reach NASA, even though it's travelling at the speed of light. (To put it into perspective, light from the Sun - 150 million km or 93 million miles away takes about eight-and-a-third minutes to reach us.)

Mind you, hardly surprising that it takes so long if the whole shebang is only powered by 420 watts. :shock: Given that your average headlamp is no more than 60 watts, it's a staggering distance for that piffling amount of energy to travel.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a hell of an achievement. If that kind of ingenuity can be put into solving the world's increasingly pressing problems, there may be hope for us all yet. :P
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 28 Mar 2010 13:10 GMT

Wish I could be sure. People like Murray Gell-Mann have offered to have a go at subjects like economics and inject a bit of scientific rigour, but been told they weren't welcome...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Buddyboy » Mon 17 May 2010 01:26 GMT

If you want to see an interesting movie about the lack of a scientific approach to economics, watch "The Fall Of The Republic", a two and a half hour movie available on YouTube. Scary stuff.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Dave » Mon 17 May 2010 02:39 GMT

Can you really turn economics into a science? Given that so much of it's about human behaviour (and in particular mass psychology), I'm not sure that you can.

At best it's a (highly sophisticated, admittedly) betting system when it comes to prediction. And if it's not being used for prediction, then it's really just a form of history with numbers, isn't it?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 17 May 2010 17:26 GMT

At least you can use rigorous science to rubbish some of the theories behind today's efforts to manipulate the economy and to forecast market behaviour.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Re: Breaking out of the Solar System

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 17 May 2010 22:02 GMT

Dave wrote:Mind you, hardly surprising that it takes so long if the whole shebang is only powered by 420 watts. :shock: Given that your average headlamp is no more than 60 watts, it's a staggering distance for that piffling amount of energy to travel.

:lol: Of course, no need to remind you that the power won't have any impact on the speed.
I love the idea of small power transmission. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned that I dabble in ham radio.
I loved the fact that I once held a good conversation between Savannah and Novia Scotia - via Morse code - on 250mW. Very satisfying - in a geeky kind of way.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Dave » Tue 18 May 2010 01:06 GMT

250 milliwatts? That's tiny!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 18 May 2010 01:11 GMT

Sure is tiny!. :lol:
There is a whole branch of ham radio operators that like to work "QRP".

Those kind of tiny powers pretty much limit it to CW, or Morse Code. It's very satisfying doing it the old-fashioned way with the minimum of equipment though (said the actress to the bishop. ;-) )
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Return to Chinwags