It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 08:21 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

The Care and Feeding of your Mouse Trap

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

The Care and Feeding of your Mouse Trap

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 10 Mar 2010 16:31 GMT

As my house currently seems to be the Dahlonega Mouse Hotel, I have discovered one process that is a sure kill:

1. Place trap in a high traffic area for your uninvited guests. "Mouse Main Street", if you will.

2. Wait three days. Amuse yourself with random sightings and interactions with your rodent roommates. For their part, they will taunt you. You may see them thumbing their nose at you - pointing at the trap and laughing derisively. Keep calm.
At quiet moments; out of the corner of your eye, you may see them waving various flags or banners at you. They rarely hold them still long enough for you to read them.
It's not important. Ignore their tauntings. Your revenge will come with step three.

3. Place a second trap at any arbitrary location. It seems it hardly matters the location of this second trap. I'm experimenting to see whether it's even necessary to load this trap with mousie morsels.
No sooner will you have placed the second trap, mousey will gleefully hurl himself at the ORIGINAL trap... Badabing! Dead mousie.

Don't try to fight or vary from this method. It's just their way.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Wed 10 Mar 2010 16:41 GMT

:lol:

We had a mouse in our London house and tried for ages to trap or catch it. Then one day I was standing at the cooker and stepped back suddenly. There was a quite sickening crunch. I'd stood on the mouse and killed it. :shock: Yuk. I was just glad I wasn't bare footed at the time. Bleugh. But at least it got rid of the mouse. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 10 Mar 2010 17:00 GMT

:shock: Well, that was a brazen mouse! I guess it paid the price.

I do seem to be getting a lot of them right now. I had quite an adventure with one the other day.
The silly thing had managed to get itself in the trap backwards. Consequently, it was pinned at the back. It was very much still alive. I heard the trap go off.
When I saw that it was suffering, I panicked and sought for a way to put it out of its misery.
Not wishing to get too "manual" with it, I had the choice of a hammer, a 9mm semi-automatic or a 38 special. Thinking that the guns were a little overkill to say the least - and not wishing to blow holes in my floor, I really didn't have the will to bring the hammer into play.
Then I remembered I had a "soft" air pistol. This is a low-powered thing that fires plastic ball bearings. I used to use it to keep the cats off of my bikes when left outside.

The first shot embedded itself in the eye socket. Mouse will still alive. The second dislodged the first - and made a nice mess on the floor. It took quite a few more to end its suffering. Poor thing. If only it had got the right way to enter the trap. Left quite a mess for me to clear up as well.

This was all while I was cooking dinner. Bon apetite...
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 10 Mar 2010 17:38 GMT

Urk! Rather you than me.

I'd never want to be cruel to an animal, but sometimes you just have to get rid of vermin for your own sake. They can do a lot of damage and spread disease.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 10 Mar 2010 17:46 GMT

Kay wrote:Urk! Rather you than me.

Me too. :shock: I hate killing anything larger than a housefly. Though I'll do it if I have to.

(The largest thing I've killed was possibly a blue crab, although Kay reckons it was probably dead already - we'd put it in the freezer to render it unconscious.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 10 Mar 2010 17:57 GMT

I was supposed to kill a lobster at college. Three of us in the class were "privileged" to get our own lobsters to kill. I pretended to be a little bit unsure of what exactly I was supposed to be doing, so the tutor came to help. "Like this," she said, taking the knife off me and stabbing it through the head. Result! One dead lobster and I didn't have to do it. I made a nice lobster bisque out of it, though. :twisted:

I later taught my step-father the technique after he'd caught a few lobsters, but I didn't do it myself then either. I showed him exactly how to do it and supervised him, but I didn't actually kill it myself. What a cop out, eh?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 10 Mar 2010 19:35 GMT

I haven't examined the carnage yet with this latest one, but, somehow, the trap is free, and the mouse is dead beside it. Scared it to death?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 11 Mar 2010 04:56 GMT

Are you sure its not just resting
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 11 Mar 2010 05:58 GMT

^^ Haha! No, when I picked it up, it was very stiff. Still didn't work out what exactly happened. There was blood over the floor, but the mouse wasn't attached to the trap... but it was definitely dead.

Oh well. And so we go on. Another one came and showed itself to me in the kitchen earlier. I reset the trap that somehow caused the demise of it's recently deceased family member.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 13 Mar 2010 17:33 GMT

Savannah_Alan wrote:I haven't examined the carnage yet with this latest one, but, somehow, the trap is free, and the mouse is dead beside it. Scared it to death?

Had the same thing happen, once, back in Reading. Put down a trap with a dollop of peanut butter on it after seeing a mouse scurry across the kitchen counter one evening. Came down the next morning and found the peanut butter gone, the trap sprung and the mouse lying dead beside it. Maybe it choked to death on the peanut butter in shock when the trap sprung...?

Alan, get yourself a .22 firearm and some rat-shot. Kind of a .22 shotgun shell. It has an effective range of only about 3-5 meters so it won't cause any collateral damage.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 13 Mar 2010 18:44 GMT

The mouse clearly had a peanut allergy
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 13 Mar 2010 18:54 GMT

Mike. I technically do own a .22. Trouble is, it's in the police evidence room (long story connected with my wonderful ex-fiancée). Need to give them a call and try to get it back.

I've heard of that rat shot. If I get it back, I'll give it a try. :-)
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 13 Mar 2010 18:54 GMT

"Peanut allergy". :crackup: It's always the obvious answer
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 14 Mar 2010 08:47 GMT

I'm still wondering about the design of this mouse trap, Alan. Is it your classic "The Little Nipper" design with the spike, the floating board and the spring? Or is it something more elaborate, involving marbles, boots, divers and a cage that rattles down over the mouse about five minutes after the trap's sprung?

(I always wanted that game when I was very little. As it was, I never even got to play it on those last days of term when you were allowed to bring toys and games to school. :cry: )
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sun 14 Mar 2010 08:57 GMT

Yes, it's the traditional type mouse trap. Although they've changed them recently - for the worse. The thing is set by poking the wire into a plastic recess. They go off accidentally very easily.

I LOVED MouseTrap when I was a kid. Great game. :-)
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Next

Return to Chinwags