It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 08:56 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

The Care and Feeding of your Mouse Trap

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Kay » Fri 16 Apr 2010 19:07 GMT

Perhaps we should have tried chicken? Doesn't everyone like chicken? :twisted:

http://www.notdelia.co.uk/the-ubiquitou ... -anecdote/
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 16 Apr 2010 19:12 GMT

Give them cheese - rats are lactose intolerant
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 16 Apr 2010 22:14 GMT

Rodents just love kit-kat, especially when placed in the centre of a nice sticky glue board,(they seem to have mastered eating off mouse traps) go on give 'em a break, satisfaction guaranteed. :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 16 Apr 2010 22:33 GMT

Might it help to do a little trail of morsels leading into the trap?

Meanwhile, yesterday I was bitten on the backside several times by ants. Dave and I were watching the telly and I kept feeling a bit uncomfortable. I was sure that it was ants so we put the light on for a closer look. And it was. Ants just seem to love me for some reason.

Not sure if we can get KitKats. It's a strange rat, though. It's been ignoring my offer of some tasty bacon and has had a nibble at the outside of a plastic container of cranberry sauce on the worktop instead.

Dave Dee, we've not got traps, as we'd know them - apparently they're not available. We've got cages to trap 'em in. Your guess is as good as mine what to do if you catch one. You're probably supposed to let it go elsewhere. Drowning will probably be the best bet, cos I sure as heck ain't getting involved with letting it free to go and plague someone else.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 16 Apr 2010 22:42 GMT

Morsels would feed them prior to entrapment and they might smell a rat, when we had a problem i made my own gluepad and just left it close to a wall where i thought the run was, got him/her second night, had to drown it as cutting off legs and other adhered parts may have been too distressing for it and me. :lol: p.s. most of the kit-kat had gone
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 17 Apr 2010 00:00 GMT

Any advice on how to make your own glue trap?

We did have a commercial version of this type of thing (assuming that our money had been spent on it) but no evidence of any success. No rat and no sticky trap by the time we came home. :roll:

The rat is still there, we hear it moving around, and Dave sees it occasionally. It's not being enticed by the bacon on offer in the cage. What's next?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Sat 17 Apr 2010 01:21 GMT

Have you tried a electronic sonic rodent deterrent? Plug a couple in around the house and they emit a sound frequency detectable only to rodents, making them uncomfortable and quit the area. I bought two in Malta but despite assurances that they would not affect our cats or dogs, Jack the German Shepherd shot out the back door and would only come back in when they were switched off. The other pets, including George Michael the bathroom Gecko were unaffected so Jack must have some rodent DNA. Got my money back so cannot tell if they would have worked longterm.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 17 Apr 2010 05:43 GMT

chris green wrote:Have you tried a electronic sonic rodent deterrent?

I've certainly heard of them, but I don't know whether they're readily available here. I'll have a look next time I'm out doing a big shop.

Kit-Kats certainly are available here. I'm not sure about making your own glue trap, though.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sat 17 Apr 2010 05:51 GMT

Have you tried twiglets ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Sat 17 Apr 2010 06:19 GMT

Dave, the glue i bought in a tube from the local hardware/d.i.y. store, it is made for the specific purpose and is odourless, all you then need is a piece of cardboard to put the glue and biscuit on, i placed it under the kitchen units behind the facia so i wouldn't trap any of the family. if your glue trap should disappear he will be carrying it round with him with a bit of luck all four feet will engage, i tried the sound emmiters but it seemed to attract cockroaches (I surprised three of them holding a hoe down underneath it one night.)
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 17 Apr 2010 06:44 GMT

dave dee wrote:I surprised three of them holding a hoe down underneath it one night.

I'm confused - do you mean you employed a prostitute, and held them underneath it, or that you organised a barn dance for the rats ?

:twisted:
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Sat 17 Apr 2010 06:58 GMT

Dance ? Mark what you talking about, she was a tasty piece as cockroaches go, two of them had massive smiles, the other was either the girls father or gay i think. :lol:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 17 Apr 2010 16:24 GMT

The ready-made glue traps here are pretty big - roughly 25cm diameter - and have a gunky brown glue over them. (It leaks, too. I bought one about three years ago and stuck it - still in the packaging - in our storage room, and there's a patch of it on our floor. Apparently vegetable oil gets rid of it, but I'm not too keen on the idea of a patch of vegetable oil on the floor either.)

I've never seen any glue sold by itself, but then again I've never looked.

I'm not keen on the idea of attracting cockroaches, but I suppose a good spray in the area beforehand would keep them down.

At times like this I can almost see the attractions of living in the UK. Almost. :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 17 Apr 2010 16:39 GMT

We don't have to go and live in the UK. Maybe we just have to buy some proper traps while we're there. But I hope Roland will be long gone before then.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Sat 17 Apr 2010 21:31 GMT

Re spillage,

Ready made pads have glue to the edges which will give your prey chance to push it around and lose it, making your own sticky pads will prevent escape and glue spillage as you can leave an extensive border, the biscuit's smell is the bait, the glue just retains him until your ready to evict. Happy hunting.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Chinwags