It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:06 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

The Care and Feeding of your Mouse Trap

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Kay » Wed 21 Apr 2010 18:45 GMT

Still no luck with the cages. However, Dave saw it again today. Also, the bloody thing destroyed my temperature probe. (For the non-cheffy types, it's a thing like a pocket calculator attached by a wire to a probe for checking the temp. of food). It had chewed through the wire in several places, so the probe is now useless. :evil:

By coincidence, PumaBob, one of our Malta forum supporters, had offered to bring some Nisbets stuff out to Malta for me. I'd made a list and at the very last minute I'd added a temperature probe on the basis that the existing one was getting a bit old. I'd no idea that the existing one would be destroyed only a couple of days later. So at least I've got a replacement lined up, thanks to Bob.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Wed 21 Apr 2010 22:32 GMT

Wow, i have some spare probes, never thought of using them as bait, good tip.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 22 Apr 2010 08:53 GMT

I know you're kidding, Dave, but that's exactly what we did. I said that if Roland likes the probe wires so much, then why not put a bit in each cage? You never know, he might set the trap off while he's in there getting the wires. Worth a shot anyway.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Apr 2010 10:58 GMT

240V though the wires might work as well, esp if above a bowl of water
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 22 Apr 2010 11:24 GMT

:lol:

Mind you, we wouldn't be laughing if he burnt the house down as a result. Not very likely, though:

a) The house itself isn't very flammable - concrete/steel frame and floors;
b) We've got circuit-breakers on the wiring.

All the same, I think we'll pass on that idea. :P
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Apr 2010 11:36 GMT

Just hire a dog - my dogs have killed atleast 20 rats since this thread started....
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 22 Apr 2010 12:16 GMT

Nice idea in theory, Mark, but Roland only seems to show up every day or so and tends to hide in inaccessible places, such as behind the cooker or behind the kitchen bookcase. A dog would never get near him unless we ripped the kitchen apart to give the dog more access.

Do you think the smell of a dog might be a deterrent? I guess we could borrow one for a few hours a day... :?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 22 Apr 2010 15:32 GMT

Kay wrote:Still no luck with the cages. However, Dave saw it again today. Also, the bloody thing destroyed my temperature probe.

Must be Nick Clegg's fault :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 22 Apr 2010 15:40 GMT

Looks like Nick's going viral. Whatever the election result, no-one will be able to say "Nick Who?"
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 23 Apr 2010 20:34 GMT

Well we got him. RIP, poor Roland.

We heard a noise of something being knocked over, and Dave saw him race behind the kitchen bookcase (one of his favourite haunts). I hit on the idea of doing a good blast of anti-cockroach spray in there. I didn't expect it would kill him but thought the toxic spray might get him out of there and on the run or at least give him a headache and confuse him or something. Apparently they're quite intelligent creatures so I was trying to teach it that this house is an unpleasant environment for it.

There was nothing more we could do meanwhile so we went back to what we were doing. About twenty minutes later. Snap! Trap 2 had caught him. He didn't seem particularly distressed and was enjoying his last supper of bacon, when Dave dropped the cage into a bucket of water... It was the quickest and most humane thing we could think of.

It's sad to have to kill things but we really can't put up with vermin in the house. Now we just have to hope that it was only one and there aren't any more.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 23 Apr 2010 20:49 GMT

:(

I don't doubt that Kay's idea of using the cockroach spray made a difference. I don't know whether it disorientated him and made him less cautious, or whether it simply drove him out of the home he'd made and sent him looking elsewhere. (Trap 2 had been in place and undisturbed for a good few days.) But the capture happened too soon afterwards for it to have been simply a coincidence, I think.

Poor little bugger. I'm still not sure exactly what kind of a creature he was - too big for a mouse, too small for a brown rat (Rattus norvegicus).

The bizarre thing about it all was that - Kay's probe apart - there was very little sign of anything being eaten or damaged. When we had a mouse in London, there were nibbled bags of flour/oatmeal and droppings all over the place.

Makes me feel even more guilty about killing him. But, as Kay says, there wasn't really any practical alternative. And at least the death would have been relatively quick and painless - better than a more violent and less certain method of killing.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 23 Apr 2010 21:27 GMT

Glad your finally rid of the rodent, i can sympathise with you on the drowning, reminds me of our mouse i caught on the sticky glue board, when sliding him down to his demise in the bucket of water i noticed a little tear in his eye, i winked at him and was amazed as i looked down the board to see the kit-kat he had been eying for some hours was submerged and bits of it were floating past his nose. r.i.p. :cry:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 23 Apr 2010 22:05 GMT

Dave Dee, sometimes I wonder if you have any feelings. :lol:

It seemed like a battle when the wee beastie was driving me round the bend. But when the big guns came out with the technology, chemical warfare, and hardware, its days were numbered.

I'd expected to do a "Gotcha!" post when we caught it, but actually I just felt sorry for it. A bit sad, really. But it had to be done.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 23 Apr 2010 22:16 GMT

Kay, of course i have feelings, it was one of the saddest moments for me too, i knew exactly how he felt and i think he knew that, i also could have just eat that kit-kat.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 23 Apr 2010 22:22 GMT

Don't feel bad, Dave Dee. I'll bring you the left over bit of Roland's bacon for you and you can have that instead.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chinwags