It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:53 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Spelling ignorance

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Spelling ignorance

Postby ruggie » Thu 8 Apr 2010 18:31 GMT

... which is different from the finger incompetence and pattern recognition failures from which I have suffered increasingly over the past year or so.

Two that I've seen recently in places where they should take copy editing seriously:

its' - A new one on me. Did the writer know it shouldn't have been it's but still felt vaguely unhappy?

diffuse - a weaker way of taking the heat out of a political argument, but no use for rendering an explosive device harmless.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Buddyboy » Mon 17 May 2010 01:18 GMT

The absence of an ability to write coherently using good spelling and grammar is sadly demonstrated abundantly on the web. If low standards are acceptable anywhere then low standards will prevail. I once smiled when I saw a serious notice in a forum extolling the virtues of good "spelling and grammer". Perhaps it was more of a grimace.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Dave » Mon 17 May 2010 02:34 GMT

Buddyboy wrote:If low standards are acceptable anywhere then low standards will prevail.

I'm sure you're right. Txtspk dsnt hlp either.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 17 May 2010 19:33 GMT

Yes. That's one of my pet peeves. I'm sure I've made mistakes myself, but I'm mortified if I do, and make sure that I remind myself the proper way. I used to be guilty of the "its"/"it's" mistake.

Sadly, my daughter messaged me on Facebook the other day saying: "let me know when your coming over." :(
I wish I could find a gentle way to remind her.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 17 May 2010 19:36 GMT

There is a Facebook group gaining ground right now called:
"They're going there with their friends. It's called Grammar - use it."
Nice. :D
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Buddyboy » Mon 17 May 2010 21:39 GMT

So I'm not the only one. Thank heavens. I wonder, though, how many people who profess we are idiots to be so hung up on correctness have been taken less seriously or been passed over for a job or promotion because of their illiteracy. I certainly give people less credit when they demonstrate a poor command of their first language. When a child reads only comics it's fair to say it doesn't matter, so long as he or she is reading. But when they are adults it's another story. If they cannot grasp the intricacies of language by then they are still in the "needs development" stage.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Return to Chinwags