It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:57 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

E-Cigarettes

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

E-Cigarettes

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 26 Apr 2010 17:56 GMT

I have been looking into the concept of e-cigarettes lately.
Just in case anybody hasn't come across these yet, they consist of a battery, an atomiser, and a cartridge. The atomiser burns the cartridge and produces a vapour which you inhale just like a regular cigarette.

They have to be marketed very carefully due to the laws here, but they basically give you the feel of a regular cigarette, and provide the nicotine (if desired) in various strengths. You also get the vapour which is pretty close to regular cigarette smoke.
Of course, the advantage is that you are not getting all the really bad stuff associated with regular cigarettes - the tar and all the nasty chemicals. Basically, you are inhaling water vapour and nicotine. Also, you; and your surroundings; don't smell like an ash tray! The vapour disappears very quickly with no residual smell. It is actually legal to "smoke" these in places where regular smoking is not allowed.

I got to try one of these recently and was pretty impressed. Of course, it is not exactly like a regular cigarette, but I was impressed with how near the experience is.

My "Starter Kit" arrived this weekend. I have part of a pack or regular cigarettes left here, which I shall finish - and hope to then go completely electronic.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 26 Apr 2010 17:58 GMT

Kay. I think I had mostly you in mind when starting this topic. May be something you might be interested in researching.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 26 Apr 2010 18:04 GMT

Thanks, Alan. I have heard of these but I wasn't sure if it was some kind of scam or what. Worth a try, though - depending on how you get on.

Will airlines let you "smoke" these on-board?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 26 Apr 2010 18:29 GMT

Re: airlines. You know, I don't really know. Legally, I can't see how they could possibly refuse because it definitely isn't smoking. I bet someone sitting next to you wouldn't be able to even smell it.

Of course, if you don't feel happy about it, simply go to the bathroom and puff away. I'd be amazed if they set off any kind of alarm because it's simply steam. It definitely would be a way to get through flights if you can't do without.

I refrained from mentioning the brand that I'm trying for unintentionally advertising, but they come in a pack that looks like a regular cigarette packet.
The pack charges the batteries on the go, and holds spare cartridges. You can get the cartridges in different nicotine strength (or no nicotine at all, if you prefer), and in different flavours ranging from regular tobacco to things like menthol, coffee, vanilla and even cherry.

I'm not wishing to sound like a infomercial for them, but it's an interesting concept for me. I definitely like the idea of not smelling like an ash tray, and not having all the chest things associated with regular smoking. We'll see...
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Trev » Mon 26 Apr 2010 18:37 GMT

Interesting to hear how you get on with it Alan. I tried them a few months ago and far as I was concerned it was a total fail.

Mainly because the batteries didn't last long, OK for the first couple of weeks then a slow gradual decline in power to one or two puffs per recharge.

It is not the nicotine that is so addictive, if I remember correctly you can get rid of all the nicotine in your body in 48 hours, for me it is the habit of having a ( I nearly said fag ) ciggy in your mouth and in your hand that is the habit I need to break, not easy to do.

Anyway hope it works for you and your batteries are better than mine. :) :)
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 26 Apr 2010 18:42 GMT

Yeah, habits can be hard to break. For me it's right hand on mouse and left hand on fag. Also, I don't really want to give up, it's just that smoking is a nuisance when you're made to feel like a social outcast for wanting to do it.
:)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 26 Apr 2010 20:13 GMT

Trev. Interesting. I've researched them quite thoroughly, and didn't come across of any mention about the batteries thing. I'll see how that goes.
I know that quality varies widely across brands.

Kay. Funny you should say that. I was doing exactly that last night, and was aware how well it seemed to replace that feeling.

Well, we'll see. Don't want to enthuse too much before I've given it a good college try. :-)
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 26 Apr 2010 20:26 GMT

I have enough stress and problems in my life without giving up smoking right now. But the honest truth is that the fags are making me feel bad sometimes.

If I could find an EASY way to give up, I'd probably do it. Something like an injection or a pill or something. I dunno.

Please do keep us informed about how you get on.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Mon 26 Apr 2010 21:41 GMT

Kay wrote: For me it's right hand on mouse and left hand on fag.
:)

Opposite way for me, interesting article here
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby chris green » Tue 27 Apr 2010 10:01 GMT

It'll be interesting to see Alan's report. Partner and I invested in two e-cigs last year and were very impressed for the first few days..................then they began not to hold charge. Also, some of the cartridges leaked either fouling the ciggy or (much worse) dumping a load of evil tasting liquid into mouth.
Of course, they might have improved in the last few months :roll:

chris (stinks of fags; often found hanging around outside restaurants and hotels; no longer welcome in relatives homes <well, that's a blessing>; nagged by doctors; wheezy.)
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Tue 27 Apr 2010 11:03 GMT

Wonder if you can replace/modify the battery pack? Most of this stuff is made in China, and you still see NiCad rather than lithium cells, hence the gradual reduction in charge they will hold. Try leaving it on for several hours to try to run the battery completely flat.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Tue 27 Apr 2010 11:16 GMT

If you have plenty of time, work through the comments on this
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Tue 27 Apr 2010 19:19 GMT

In case anyone was watching the topic, I've removed some postings that included commercial links - as Alan correctly pointed out, we don't want to give companies a free advert. :wink:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 28 Apr 2010 18:10 GMT

Well done, Dave. I was beginning to have misgivings about my own input, since this is a public board.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 30 Apr 2010 21:47 GMT

Well, here's an update on the e-cigarette thing.

It is now Friday afternoon, and I had my last real cigarette on Tuesday night.

Firstly, Trev, I'm disappointed to find that you're right. The kit I bought works quite well when both the battery and the cartridge are fresh.
Firstly, I found that the cartridge didn't last very long at all before it was giving out little vapour. They claim that every cartridge is the equivalent of 10-15 cigarettes. I find this to be wildly exaggerated.
Second - and worse, is the fact that the batteries are already losing most of their capacity. I must have charged the things about five to six times yesterday - and I really wasn't "smoking" that much because of all the messing around entailed.

Between the short life of the cartridge, and the alarmingly decreasing battery life, there seems to be little time when the thing is actually working well - and when it isn't, you're at a loss to decide whether it's the battery going down, or the cartridge empty.

Now, having said all that, I am finding that the e-cigarette (when working optimally) is a very fair alternative to the real thing. I actually don't feel like I'm giving up smoking at all.

Having pretty much decided to send the original kit back, and get a refund, I visited the local gas station last night that sells a different brand. I hesitated buying from there pretty much because it was from a gas station. Probably some cheap crap, right?
Well, this one is quite a bit larger than the first kit I bought. The batteries are very much larger, as are the cartridges and the atomiser.

This thing gives out way more vapour than my original kit. I didn't charge the battery from when purchased but it is still going like a trooper - with no discernible loss in vapour at this stage - on the original cartridge.
It really is quite impressive. It seems to give out as much "smoke" as a real cigarette, and that seems to be important to me.
I did notice that the batteries with this one are lithium-ion, so I'm hoping they will perform much better.
Typically, I really am not keen on the flavour of the cartridges that come with the new kit, but different ones are available, and they even have the fluid to re-charge the cartridges yourself in various flavours. When I tried this one in the gas station before, they were using a different flavour, which I much preferred.

So, sorry if I was waffling there, but the experiment continues. I really feel like the e-cigarette is a viable option still. I'm "smoking" as I type this, and the house smells great! :-)

All my hopes are on the new brand. I'll keep you informed.

p.s. The "Phlegmy" throat that I've been putting up with for months now is already getting way, way better.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Next

Return to Chinwags