It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:33 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Dating by blood type in Japan

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Dating by blood type in Japan

Postby Kay » Wed 28 Apr 2010 20:00 GMT

Did you see this rather strange story?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8646236.stm

The received wisdom is that As are dependable and self sacrificing, but reserved and prone to worry.

That's me, folks! I wonder if it makes any difference that I'm A-neg? :twisted:

How about you?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed 28 Apr 2010 23:45 GMT

It would make a difference for blood transfusions but I can't see how blood type is reflected in personality. In the middle ages people were diagnosed as having too much heat in their blood, or their humors and so blood letting was a common approach to most illnesses (if your only tool is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail) as it was essentially the only treatment around that didn't involve sacrifice or smelly ointments.
I'm an A+, my wife and A- but we seem to get on okay. One daughter is O- and the other A+, I don't see how my O- daughter would develop a personality trait specific to the blood type with A parents.
I wonder if vampires have a preference?

Graeme :?
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 29 Apr 2010 01:58 GMT

Graeme wrote:One daughter is O- and the other A+, I don't see how my O- daughter would develop a personality trait specific to the blood type with A parents.

Maybe it's a bit more subtle than that, Graeme - since clearly you and your wife are both AO rather than AA, perhaps you've both got a recessive element of O about your personality. A bit like rising signs in astrology. :lol:

I'm O- as well. Decisive and confident? Yeah, right. :roll:

A, B and AB are relatively common in Japan (have a look at these distribution maps from Palomar College in California), which may explain why so many Japanese are giving this the time of day.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 29 Apr 2010 15:57 GMT

That's a fascinating series of maps Dave, I noticed that the A allele is distributed heavily in the northern tribes of North America but is essentially absent in the tribes of South America. I wonder how that is related to the dispersal theory of immigration to South America from North America. From the map it appears that there might have been two modes of entry to the North American area one from the West and the main one from the East. The Diego distribution is also interesting and was a trait I'd heard of but never really paid any attention to.
The O distribution is interesting in that the majority of South Americans are O yet they should (in theory) be the direct descendants of the northern tribes which are heavily A.
Japan seems to have a very small distribution of O's which would make blood products harder to come by as O- is the universal donor and sought after by the red cross.
On a different note I am not allowed to donate blood in Canada as I have live in the UK for more than 6 months since 1980, apparently it makes me more likely to be carrying a 'mad cow' preon. I wonder if any other countries have this restriction.
Graeme
:?
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 1 May 2010 19:49 GMT

I hadn't heard about British residents being banned from blood donation on account of 'mad cow'...

I think I might now be accepted for plasma donation, but last time I tried volunteering in the UK, they dismissed me on account of being brought up in tropical Africa, and rapidly confirmed that when I told them my mother had malaria when I was born, and then I had brucellosis when I was 11 - which lasted nearly 2 years before it was finally cured by a second course of the newly-discovered antibiotic aureomycin.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 1 May 2010 20:05 GMT

That's a very interesting paper in many ways, Dave - both presentation and content. It's the first time I've seen links to audio files for pronunciation guides - though I fail to see the need for most of them.

I thought Australia's population was mainly Asian and European in origin, so why doesn't it show much the same distribution, ratherthan being like the USA. Come to think of it, why is the USA like it is? American Indians are a very small fraction of the population.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 1 May 2010 20:20 GMT

I think they may have made a mistake with the Group A map for North America, Ruggie - the dark blue bit (>35% with A allele) includes a large area which is marked as 90-100% Group O, and falls between a buff area and a grey one - I think it actually ought to have been yellow (5-10% with A allele).

I'm not sure how to account for Australia. But I do notice that the maps are captioned "native populations". Perhaps that's it.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 3 May 2010 06:31 GMT

ruggie wrote:I hadn't heard about British residents being banned from blood donation on account of 'mad cow'....

yep, the ban is there in many countries in the world
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags