It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 21:50 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

New marathon record

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

New marathon record

Postby Kay » Sun 6 Feb 2011 13:01 GMT

According to a story on the BBC, a Belgian man has completed 365 marathons in one year. :shock:

It makes you wonder when he had time to eat, sleep, travel, and get his laundry done.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 6 Feb 2011 15:48 GMT

Not to mention buying new running shoes. I wonder how many pairs he wore out?

That's over 9,500 miles he ran, not counting any mad dashes he might have had to make for buses or trains. :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 6 Feb 2011 16:06 GMT

Well, he reckons it was just like a job. But one where you work 4 hours a day every day of every week. I'd have him checked for obsessive-compulsive disorder...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Trev » Sun 6 Feb 2011 16:27 GMT

Dave wrote: not counting any mad dashes

The only time I ever got under 5.5 hours was when some bloody dog chased me, and I couldn't get away from it.

Mind you, I was considerably younger then and a lot fitter, Probably take me a year or so to do one now (On my knees). Perhaps that would be a new world record? :D
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 6 Feb 2011 16:39 GMT

@Trev

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 6 Feb 2011 17:10 GMT

I'd like to look at his metabolism...I'll be betting he isn't overweight.

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 6 Feb 2011 17:43 GMT

I wonder what he eats. Lots of carbs and protein I guess. His physique looked fairly normal to me from what I could see in the photo.

I think that most people drop a lot of weight when they run a marathon. Is that correct?

Graeme, is there any way to measure metabolism other than just by observation - I mean a scientific method.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 6 Feb 2011 21:45 GMT

Yeah, you can measure metabolism by measuring oxygen consumption for a given amount of work...One calorie requires about 200 mml or so of oxygen I think. Have you seen athletes riding bikes/running treadmills with oxygen masks on? That's most likely what they are doing then, measuring their ability to utilise oxygen efficiently-metabolism.
When you run a marathon most of the first while you use up the sugars which are available in your bloodstream and easily mobilised, once you get about 18 miles your sugars are almost used up and the body starts to break down fats to utilise the energy from there..it's called hitting the wall as it feels so awful. You have to grit your teeth and try to run through it, almost like trying to get a second wind.
The energy expanded to run a marathon is roughly equivalent to the amount of energy stored in one pound of body fat...food for thought :?

I should point out I don't run that far and haven't run a marathon so this information is subject to confirmation......but not by me!
:lol:

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 7 Feb 2011 00:04 GMT

Graeme, that is absolutely amazing. I had no idea that metabolism was connected to oxygen use - or anything else you mentioned. Thanks! Such an enlightening post. :shock:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Mon 7 Feb 2011 08:50 GMT

Graeme wrote:utilise oxygen efficiently

And that is the problem most heavy smokers have I guess. Damaged lungs, poor oxygen transfer into blood stream to feed muscles, causing problems running, walking, climbing stairs etc., etc. :cry:
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Re: New marathon record

Postby gozomark » Tue 15 Feb 2011 10:34 GMT

Kay wrote:According to a story on the BBC, a Belgian man has completed 365 marathons in one year. .

thats nothing, I once ate 3 mars bars in an hour
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 15 Feb 2011 11:05 GMT

BaDOOM-tish :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Tue 15 Feb 2011 12:02 GMT

Snickers.......................
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 15 Feb 2011 14:07 GMT

Ooh, so many Smartie pants on here. It's such a Treet to be around clever people and not Flakes. There's no need to Fudge things. It's good that you're staying on Topic as the Bounty of your contributions is as large as the Milky Way. It's a Picnic to have threads like this.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 15 Feb 2011 20:58 GMT

As well as useful tips, you may even p-pick up a p-penguin...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Next

Return to Chinwags