It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 08:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Cigarette Prices

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Apr 2011 09:46 GMT

Iain Banks also writes excellent, fast-paced sci-fi,

He writes his sci-fi under the name Iain M Banks and his mainstream fiction as Iain Banks.

I'm not so keen on his sci-fi, some of it is a bit too weird for me. Yes, we have The Bridge. I think we've got everything he's ever written.

...and was commissioned to write a book in which he visited a lot of distilleries - I recommend this book, too...

I think you're referring to Raw Spirit. I was very enthusiastic to read that one, not least because it's all about "my country". But I was disappointed with it. Have a look at what people are saying on Amazon about it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raw-Spirit-Sear ... 0099460270

Nah, it's not one I would recommend.

Chris, I'm glad you've bought The Crow Road. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it. You might even find you are converted to a new religion when you discover the anti-create. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Tue 19 Apr 2011 10:22 GMT

Actually, although it's in the Amazon basket I'm not buying anything at the moment.

A naughty person in Nigeria hacked my Paypal account and another in Luxembourg accessed my UK bank account. All now recovered but I await new instructions.

Both Paypal and the bank were terrific and refunded the cash within a very short time.

Additional security now added to our computers! :x :mrgreen:
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Dave » Tue 19 Apr 2011 10:24 GMT

We've got most of the Iain Banks fiction (all except A Song of Stone; we did have that, but it fell apart after someone insisted on keeping it in her personal in-bed library and the glue proved too weak to keep the pages on the spine) and about 40% of the Iain M Banks stuff.

As for Raw Spirit, we did have that, but sent it back to the UK in our stuff for storage in 2004. From memory, I'd say a lot of the criticisms on Amazon are justified - he does bang on rather a lot about Iraq, cars and roads, and personal anecdotes. I enjoyed the cars and roads stuff, and some of the anecdotes, but the political stuff did start to get tedious. One review, talking about the driving bits, suggested that perhaps he wanted to be Jeremy Clarkson - having read some of the increasingly annoying Mr C's columns, I think that might extend to the writing too.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Apr 2011 10:34 GMT

A naughty person in Nigeria hacked my Paypal account and another in Luxembourg accessed my UK bank account. All now recovered but I await new instructions.

That's scary. I'm not sure how that could happen.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Tue 19 Apr 2011 10:53 GMT

Well it did. Paypal and bank did not offer any explanation of course. Bank asked about possible security lapses - there were none on my part, even my keyboard usage is cloaked. Paypal asked very little but there was a heavily pregnant pause when I pointed out that the transaction originated in Nigeria. c.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Tue 19 Apr 2011 15:02 GMT

Dave & Kay: yes, I did get tired of Banksie's views on life as aired in Raw Spirit. Got the impression that he tended to hang around with a bunch of rather left-wing teachers, and was a bit immature about cars. However, it gave me my first insight into the distilling business - since broadened by a private visit to Glenfarclas with my French friends.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby pommy45 » Sat 7 Jan 2012 16:10 GMT

Hi, while looking at your answer on tobbaco prices i was wondering if Malta is the same as canaries islands where they sell B&h for €30 but have local brands for as little as €6 for a brand called essential in a foil pack, does Malta have these similar brands.
By the way the €6 is for 200 which is shockingly cheap.

Interested on your comments
Posted by:
pommy45

Postby gozomark » Mon 9 Jan 2012 07:09 GMT

Hi, and welcome to the forum

simple answer is no
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 9 Jan 2012 14:44 GMT

mmmmmm cheap poison, yumm!
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Chinwags