It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 10:31 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

The Science of Motivation - TED adresses the 21st century

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

The Science of Motivation - TED adresses the 21st century

Postby ruggie » Mon 6 Jun 2011 16:29 GMT

Have any of you seen this TED talk?

Incentives don't work for real problems
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 7 Jun 2011 02:49 GMT

Thanks. This looks like it'll be really interesting. I'll watch it when I have time to give it my full attention.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 7 Jun 2011 08:12 GMT

Yeah, really a great talk and very interesting. I still find it a little bit hard to see how it could be applied in the real world. Maybe for big businesses like Google it's fine, but when you've got an SME with invoicing and boring admin work to do it's a bit harder. Also, it's all very well to talk about creativity but businesses are looking for profit. Sure, a lot of creativity leads to new products and increased profit, but where is the empirical evidence to show the correlation between creativity and profit?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 7 Jun 2011 16:58 GMT

All good points. By highlighting Google as an example, I think he identifies the kind of enterprise where his claim applies: those who depend on continuing innovation to stay ahead (or even just to stay alive). Admin and operations tasks are most likely to be the ones where incentives work.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 8 Jun 2011 04:22 GMT

My incentive is that if I don't send an invoice then I don't get paid. :twisted: Seriously, creativity is important for small businesses too. Mostly I'd expect that the owner's incentive is profit. But again, where is the correlation between effort and reward.

The internet is a very odd place to do business. Things often don't work in the way you might expect them to. You can put a lot of effort into creating something useful and make very little money. On the other hand you can make a passive income with things that need very little work. Plus you have to deal with a quagmire of spammy, scammy sites competing for people's attention.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags