It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:54 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Scottish inventions

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Scottish inventions

Postby Kay » Mon 19 Sep 2011 14:06 GMT

I was chatting to some people on another forum and I said that some Americans seem to think that they invented everything. What about the Scots?

One of the guys came back with this link for me:

http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html

Love it! :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 19 Sep 2011 22:05 GMT

Oh come onnnnnn! Any fule kno that television was invented by Vladimir Zworykin no matter how much the jocks go on about Logie Baird's stupid impractical spinning disk thingy.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby ruggie » Tue 20 Sep 2011 17:20 GMT

Thanks for that. The entry for Saki (my favourite author during my schooldays, and still very high on my list - no wonder my poor Austenite English teacher despaired of me) led me to the full text of The Unrest Cure
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Tue 20 Sep 2011 19:19 GMT

Saki's great - and a substantial swathe of his writings are available on gutenberg.org.

I didn't discover him until way past my (greatly extended) schooldays. I think I must have been in my mid-thirties when I read my first. Oh, for the wit of a Clovis Sangrail.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags