It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 15:35 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Training cheetahs to hunt in packs

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Training cheetahs to hunt in packs

Postby ruggie » Sat 10 Dec 2011 09:38 GMT

Here's a short clip from our recent holiday
sharing the meat

Previous to this, Andrew had scattered several separate, boneless pieces of game meat around so that each cheetah would get a meal. Now he gives them a leg and lets the established hierarchy get used to sharing it. He assured us that standing tall, holding the leg above his head, reinforced his status as pack leader to this group, which he has worked with since they were young orphans received from the Cheetah Conservation Fund.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 10 Dec 2011 10:31 GMT

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! He seemed very laid back about it and confident about what he was doing.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 10 Dec 2011 11:41 GMT

Yes, he was clearly very competent. Phyll & I were alone in the waist-high corral from which I filmed, and watched quietly. I couldn't help womdering what would have happened if one or two more typical members of a larger group had started squawking 'Oh my gahd!' or worse, but Andrew said the cheetahs had only one thing on their minds - the meat he was offering them.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 10 Dec 2011 13:39 GMT

I must admit that the first thing to cross my mind was: "Erk - if they all had a go at once, I wouldn't fancy my chances..." :shock:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 10 Dec 2011 19:17 GMT

It pays to understand very clearly the way they think and behave, which Andrew appears to do. And, surprisingly, the impressive teeth aren't the problem. They fell prey by cutting tendons with razor-sharp dew claws - hence the pussycat swiping feints you see in the video.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags