It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 10:04 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Fluent in 11 languages!

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Fluent in 11 languages!

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Feb 2012 08:35 GMT

Look at this guy! Impressive or what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17107435

I struggle with foreign languages. How about you? Do you have a talent for it?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 22 Feb 2012 02:04 GMT

I'm hugely envious! I thought I was doing pretty well with one language at degree level, one at A-level and three at O-level, but he makes me sound monolingual. He really does appear to be fluent in his various languages, too.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed 22 Feb 2012 02:12 GMT

Wow, I could only dream. I have to get fluent in English first. :lol:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 22 Feb 2012 12:02 GMT

Amazingly good accent and general flow in the languages I have any chance of judging. They say that when we learn language as young children, we develop sound filters that make it difficult to learn unrelated languages later in life. Does he have a mode for each language that he switches off and on?

His comments on Dutch vs Afrikaans suggest that he also operates at a higher, cultural level when switching languages - I guess that's also marginally true for me, even with my limited knowledge of French. Even when you can think in two different languages, it is often difficult to translate from one to the other.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 22 Feb 2012 15:40 GMT

ruggie wrote:Even when you can think in two different languages, it is often difficult to translate from one to the other.

True. Each language has its own grammatical/syntactic structure and associated way of thinking - switching from one to the other can be a bit of a wrench. Especially when the word order differs radically.

For instance, most languages (including English and the vast majority of other Indo-European languages) have a basic SVO (subject-verb-object) order, but Irish has VSO, and Bengali has SOV. Many learners of German struggle with the word order in subordinate clauses (SOV or OSV).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 23 Feb 2012 21:28 GMT

The word order problem can certainly be a strain. But I'd like to show that video to a few Afrikaner friends. They tend to belittle their language because of its limited vocabulary (much as we might belittle Dorset dialect, or Americans the language of the Ozarks) because it is the language of farmers. He praised Afrikaans for being lyrical, versus the cold formality of High Dutch. I'm not qualified to judge, but I have to admit that I don't know the names of any Dutch poets or playwrights.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags