It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 11:50 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Newsletter editorial, Mar '12: All in the jeans

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Newsletter editorial, Mar '12: All in the jeans

Postby Dave » Sat 31 Mar 2012 11:21 GMT

This month's newsletter editorial is all about jeans - their history, their popularity, and the status they've acquired as a social and cultural marker.

Do you wear jeans? And if you do, how brand-conscious are you when you buy them? Or are jeans a no-no in your household?

How about the locals? Are jeans worn by all ages and both sexes, in all but the most formal situations? Or are they taboo for all but the most maverick in society?

We'd love to hear from you, so please post and let us have your jeans-related comments!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 31 Mar 2012 16:40 GMT

Jeans are still a fashion and wealth statement in Canada, snobbery abounds and my kids won't wear Levi's or Wranglers, they have to have Parascutto, deisel, voi, bluefly or other makes I've never heard of. These jeans are tatty, holed, look like they've been worn by someone with poor table manners and are so tight I'm amazed they can walk in them. And they are so expensive; I almost lost it when one kid wanted a pair that cost 5 times the cost of a pair of jeans for me and I'm almost twice their size. I guess it's not the quantity of the material anymore, but the shoddiness of the assembly that counts?
Who would have thought jeans could become snob material? Funny how the world turns.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 1 Apr 2012 02:22 GMT

Funny indeed. It makes me laugh every time I see these pre-stressed (or whatever they call them) jeans with holes in, at ludicrously high prices - but probably not as much as the people selling them laugh up their sleeves whenever they make a sale. Imagine being able to charge so much more for a product that's already at the end of its useful life!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 1 Apr 2012 07:06 GMT

I wear lined tracksuit trousers in winter, jeans in spring, chinos in summer. Half of my jeans have patches down the front, made from my older jeans. I also wear shorts and cutoffs (made from unpatchable jeans) quite a bit, if it's more than 30 in the shade.

Most of my jeans come from Mr Price, a South African equivalent of Primark in the UK. They are all loose enough to allow me to squat on my haunches comfortably.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 1 Apr 2012 13:01 GMT

Of course, jeans used to be loose-fitting garments before they were fashionwear. Part of the shift from being practical garments to an element in a "look", I expect. And again, I can imagine the only people really benefiting from the tight jeans fashion would be the manufacturers.

Primark get a lot of slagging off, but not all the clothes are that bad. We've bought from them in the past, and I imagine we'd be happy to do so again if we saw something we liked enough.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 1 Apr 2012 14:47 GMT

Gosh. I didn't realise that I am so old-fashioned. I have a couple of pairs of jeans and they're both Levis. I'd not want any other jeans.

As for Primark, I like them! I got a pair of Primark trousers (10 - 15 years ago?) and I wore them until they became just too threadbare to wear any more. Aha, but they're only threadbare at the knees. Ruggie, I never even thought of making cut-offs out of them. That should keep them going for another decade.

Thank you, you've just given my favourite trousers of all time a new lease of life for another decade or so. I'm so glad I couldn't bring myself to throw them away.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 1 Apr 2012 19:29 GMT

Cutoffs must be quite useful in your climate. Glad I rescued a favourite garment. In my skinny youth, Wranglers fitted me better than Levis, but the pair I bought was in very heavy material, and rubbed me raw when I tried cycling in them.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags