It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:53 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

An enigmatic presence?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

An enigmatic presence?

Postby Dave » Wed 16 May 2012 10:18 GMT

On a recent flight we were browsing through the in-flight magazine when we came across a round-up of "Sporting Studs". The entry for David Beckham made me chuckle a bit:
WHO David Beckham, 37 years, born in England

WHAT Football

WHY He's always on some chart-topping list because of his soccer skills, enigmatic presence, looks, and of course, his body - enough to make him known as "Golden Balls".

Most of this I wouldn't take exception to. But "enigmatic presence"? Where did that come from?

I'm struggling to think of anyone less enigmatic. Even Karl Pilkington looks like a mystic in comparison.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 16 May 2012 10:35 GMT

Enigmatic? The last time I met him, he didn't have anything to say for himself at all. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sat 19 May 2012 11:40 GMT

Perhaps "enigmatic" is PC for "a bit of a thicko"
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 19 May 2012 20:03 GMT

I think you may be right, mark. Even his wife has hinted at that - after her first, very successful, fashion show, she commented that until then he never believed she had a real job.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Sun 20 May 2012 08:01 GMT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/1 ... 29042.html

Even the weather respects him, Britains richest man in sport, invite to the royal wedding, rubbing shoulders with British royals and prime ministers as well as the American president, Sir Alex giving him the boot did him a big favour. :lol: Bit of a thicko. :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Return to Chinwags