It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:30 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Meeting your boss whilst on holiday - the statistics

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Meeting your boss whilst on holiday - the statistics

Postby Kay » Sat 16 Jun 2012 09:24 GMT

The BBC has an interesting story about this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18459069

It is weird when you unexpectedly bump into someone you know when you're abroad, but it does happen quite often. It's a small world and if you move in similar circles, it's really not that unusual at all. It's happened to me several times.

Once I was transiting Frankfurt airport and met a guy I'd known from doing aid work elsewhere. Well, I guess Frankfurt is a busy hub for people travelling by air to various destinations in Europe.

Another time, I was sitting in Cairo airport and my 'cousin' (not a real cousin, but a sort of relative nonetheless) strolled by and said, "Hi, Kay." You could have picked me up off the floor after that surprise.

Obviously I go to places where I know my old friends hang out, but when I'm just passing through somewhere I've never been before, I don't usually expect to meet anyone I know.

Has it happened to you?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 16 Jun 2012 11:08 GMT

I don't know what all this fuss about coincidences is about. For the last eight years I've seen my boss every single time I go on holiday, without fail.

Mind you, I've been working for my wife's company since 2004.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 18 Jun 2012 14:11 GMT

Nice, and Johannesburg for me.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags