Housing in Accra/Ghana

Housing in Accra/Ghana

Postby Wanderlust » Sun 22 Jan 2006 00:06

I am to be posted to Accra/Ghana this summer and will be accompanied by my two daughters aged 3 and 5. As my husband will only be staying with us for a total of 5 months out of 12 (he works on rotation) I would very much prefer to live in a sort of compound, be it in a house or a flat. Though fully aware that Accra is not a crime riddled city I would nevertheless feel better, especially with regard to my daughters. Unfortunately my company’s HR department in Accra has a problem with this for various reasons which I don’t want to go into here.
Could anyone who is in the know about the housing situation in Accra please let me know:
- whether expats live in the housing developments of e.g. Taysec and Villagio (and others of course if they exist); and
- if that is a "yes" what "sort" of expats live there (business/industry representatives; diplomats; high-/low-ranking; etc.)
If anyone has any insight into living on compounds in Accra (advantages, disadvantages, etc.) please do let me know.
Many thanks in advance.
Wanderlust
Wanderlust

Postby Kay » Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:35

Hi Wanderlust

I don't know if we have members in Ghana but I'll create a new board and move your post there in the hope that someone will see it and be able to reply to you.

Good luck with your move!

Kay

PS: We also live on a compound in Thailand. It's not necessary, of course, and most people don't - but we find there are many advantages: security, convenience, community spirit, etc. I can fully understand why someone would want to do it that way.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Housing in Accra/Ghana

Postby Picin Boss » Tue 14 Mar 2006 12:09

Hi, i lived in Ghana, Takoradi for 2-years great place. Accra in terms of accomodation in a "compound is not common, usual accomodation is a normal house with a high wall and a sleeping security guard. There are appartments/flats available again with the high wall and sleeping guard-the guard really is the car washer and gate opener!

Regards
Pic Boss

[Edit: there's no need to quote previous posts in their entirety. Please read our posting guidelines.]
Travel
Picin Boss

Housing in Accra/Ghana

Postby chill » Thu 13 Jul 2006 15:12

Hey guys

I live in Tema (pretty much a stone's thow from Accra) and Picin Boss is quite right. There aren't a whole lot of gated communities around here although there is one near tothe airport and another at Sakumono that I know personally. The one near the airport (off of Spintex Road) is quite expensive but has great facilities.

Live most other ex-pats I just live in a normal house in a normal street.
chill

Return to Ghana