plants to France

Mike Clark, our gardening columnist, hosts this forum where you can discuss gardening related issues or malt whiskies. [Legacy forum—now closed to new posts]

Postby nooranismith » Thu 26 Feb 2004 06:50

Real men DO eat quiche, but I try to pass on that NE variety.
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Mike » Sat 06 Mar 2004 00:49

:lol:

Thanks for that, Ron.

But maybe that was an unwise post. Beware you're not cushie-doo-holed as a subversive co-habitee of that Doric back-room in Ruggies :twisted:

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sat 06 Mar 2004 01:00

Contrary to Forum guidelines, I winna delete crack.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'm glad of any posts I get.

Fitivver, coming back to topic, I replied to Allan Wilson's communicatively-inept response, in terms which I felt appropriate.

Perhaps I dwelt too much on two of the three R's.

I have had no response. I'm not entirely surprised.

I'm just posting this to keep anyone who may be interested up to date.

Mike.
Mike
Supporter

Postby SSue » Sun 07 Mar 2004 12:59

nooranismith wrote:Real men DO eat quiche, but I try to pass on that NE variety.

I can vouch for this, cos I make it quite often, and all the fellas I know, just love it.

My latest variety is onion, leek and parmesan, and it's blummin good if I say so meself.

SSue :roll:
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Mike » Wed 24 Mar 2004 02:17

Widdya believe it!!

Not only have I had a reply from the Dept of Plants, Horticulture and Potatoes . . .

(C'mon, Plants, Horticulture and Tatties? Surreal or fit??)

**The Scottish Executive advises that any plant grown within the EC can move within the EC for private use**

Result!!

Fitivver, there's more . . . Since I took them to task on the gobbledygook of their website . . .

**We will review the web page in the near future and will add a section to clarify the above scenario.**

Mega result!!

I guess I should post the reply in full, in case you think I'm bullshitting.

>Mr Mike Clark

Pentland House
47 Robb’s Loan
Edinburgh EH14 1TY

Telephone: 0131-244 6345
Fax: 0131-244 6509
Yvonne.Hay@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
http://www.scotland.gov.uk

Your ref:
Our ref: 2004/0005246OR
2004/0005955OR
22 March 2004

_____ _____
Dear Mr Clark

RELOCATION OF NON COMMERICAL PLANTS WITHIN THE EC

Thank you for your e-mails of 19 and 24 February seeking clarification of restrictions of movement of non-commercial plants within the EC.

The answer to your question is any plant material, providing it was grown in the EC, can move within the EC without any plant passport or phytosanitary certificates (health document) as long as it is for private use. It is advisable to move healthy plant material, to prevent any unintentional introductions of plant pests into new regions of the EC. It may also be advisable, as a courtesy, to check with the relevant local plant health authority to clarify whether there are any particular pests of concern for that region.

The information we provide on plant movement on our plant health website (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/?pageID=92) relates to plant passporting, marketing regulations, etc. We will review the web page in the near future and will add a section to clarify the above scenario.

Yours sincerely

Yvonne Hay

Yvonne Hay
Plants, Horticulture and Potatoes <

May I humbly suggest that this (correct me if I'm wrong) is the first time that this website/forum has taken on a Government (albeit a devolved one) and won. And may I equally humbly suggest that should I venture into Ruggies later, a large Old Engine Oil and a small Ord may perhaps be sat on the bar, wi' my name on them? :wink:

Anyone easily offended is advised not to scroll down.

OOOh ya forker!!!!

Holyrood rocks (tae its foondations!)

:twisted: :twisted:

Clarkie initiates plant legislation review!!! Headlines in John o'Groats Journal next . . ermmm . . month . . .

Allan Wilson cops out and delegates response to literate minion!!

Ya b*stard!! :lol: :lol:

(Clarkie takes deep breath)

All in a days work, folks.
Hope it's appreciated.

Mike
Mike
Supporter

Postby nooranismith » Wed 24 Mar 2004 08:02

Very intereresting Mike, I'm stocking up on seeds from the various online catalogues for my forthcoming decent sized garden (planting them out in wee pots on the balcony here the noo - I hope this place does come through soon cos by the time this lot is grown the balcony will collapse).

I've noticed that while they are happy to send seeds of pretty much anything, getting supplies of...ye ken fit am gaun tae spik aboot noo...decent seed tatties sent over here seems nigh impossible. So I suspected extra controls over blight and the like. So, I take from this that I am within my legal rights to bring a few tatties back in my hand luggage sometime. Good news.
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 24 Mar 2004 10:34

Well done, Clarkie!

And thanks for providing an idea for the subject of the next newsletter.

Kay :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 24 Mar 2004 13:08

nooranismith wrote:I've noticed that while they are happy to send seeds of pretty much anything, getting supplies of...ye ken fit am gaun tae spik aboot noo...decent seed tatties sent over here seems nigh impossible. So I suspected extra controls over blight and the like. So, I take from this that I am within my legal rights to bring a few tatties back in my hand luggage sometime. Good news.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that spuds are an exception, because of Colorado beetle. Here's a relevant bit from the HM Customs & Excise website.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 24 Mar 2004 13:25

My mistake - that only applies to imports from outside the EU. :D

However, you're still expected to ensure that the spuds you're bringing in are healthy. Here's a PDF file of the Defra leaflet.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nooranismith » Wed 24 Mar 2004 16:56

Thanks Dave

You heartily demonstrate one of the most practical benefits of such 'fora' (I 'll go with Kay's plural - the HW lot are uppity about their Latin, I know).

Ron
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 24 Mar 2004 19:14

Hi Ron

I'm guessing from your "fora" comment you read our latest newsletter. Some people just don't know what they're missing. :twisted:

the HW lot are uppity about their Latin, I know

Aren't the Scots in general? It was compulsory at my (Top Of The Form champions :twisted: ) school for at least the first couple of years.

Pupils:
Ahm a bo
Ahm a bas
Ahm a bat

Teacher:
No! NO!

It's

amAbo
amAbas...

Just as well Clarkie doesn't delete off-topic stuff. Anyway, he's on a well-desereved high.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby nooranismith » Thu 25 Mar 2004 05:41

Got to tell you, (my woeful lack of education showing again) we had no LAtin at school. Fortunately my mother was/is pretty steeped in the basics and instilled in me a love of reading and words and where they come from. OTOH the irony of the insistence of the importance of the '3 Rs' by some didn't escape me, perhaps because I was more of a reader and writer than a conversationalist.

On topic again (at least vaguely). Does anyone know of a mail order company that WILL send seed tatties to Italy. I've said before elsewhere, but Italian tatties are very wet. You cut them and the water literally oozes out onto the chopping board (pleasant enough flavour and boil quickly. Rubbish chips). I've of a mind to experiment with growing some of the Scottish varieties to see whether it's to do with the tattie or the conditions.

Ron
nooranismith
Free member

Postby nooranismith » Thu 25 Mar 2004 16:56

Hi Dave

I'm looking over the site and the DEFRA leaflet. 2 things: 1. it DOES seem to restrict potatoes and seed potato over and above other plants, but 2. it seems to only apply to imports to the UK. I am guessing that exporting shouldn't really be an issue in any case.

Can we clarify at all, or perhaps better, can we plead ignorance and carry on regardless (did I mention the debacle taking our dogs back and forth?).

Ron
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Dave » Thu 25 Mar 2004 18:31

I think the basic principle is that as long as

(a) you're travelling within the EU,
(b) you're carrying stuff for your own personal use,
(c) you believe it to be healthy,

you can pretty much carry any plant material anywhere.

I doubt whether Defra would be able to advise on other EU member states' import requirements or restrictions, though - in principle that would be for the government of the country concerned to do.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri 26 Mar 2004 17:16

Ron, this may be of help -

The Organic Gardening Catalogue "welcomes orders from overseas". It carries a very good range of seed tatties, organic and non-organic, and highlights Scottish seed varieties.

www.OrganicCatalogue.com

Mike
Mike
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Clark In The Park