Earthquakes

Earthquakes

Postby pmforster » Thu 22 Apr 2004 23:50

In the last 18 hours we've had a couple of earthquakes and lots of little tremors - nothing dramatic, about 5.5 on the Richter scale - just enough to make the house rattle and my beer bottle fall over!. However, I found a very nice web site that does maps of seismic activity. If you're interested it's at:

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Best wishes

Peter
Peter M. Forster
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
pmforster
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 23 Apr 2004 01:04

That's a really neat site Peter; I hadn't realised there was that much seismic activity around the world at any one time. I guess you are somewhere under the 5.5 to 6 red circle. Hope all is well, I think your area of the world has had enough problems so far this year.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby pmforster » Sun 25 Apr 2004 00:08

Graeme wrote:That's a really neat site Peter; I hadn't realised there was that much seismic activity around the world at any one time. I guess you are somewhere under the 5.5 to 6 red circle. Hope all is well, I think your area of the world has had enough problems so far this year.
:)
Graeme

Yes, Vanuatu is part of the 'Pacific ring of fire' because it's in the zone where the Pacific tectonic plate is bumping into the Indo-Australian plate. This means earthquakes, several active volcanoes and tsunamis, as well as the annual cyclone season. Environmentally, it is quite an active country...

Best wishes

Peter
Peter M. Forster
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
pmforster
Free member

Return to Pacific Islands