I was last in Armenia ...

I was last in Armenia ...

Postby duncanwil » Wed 29 Jan 2003 08:47

Dear All,

I lived in Armenia for almost two years, ending in November 2001. I remember a lot and have contacts of locals and expats still there if you need info.

Duncan Williamson
Duncan Williamson
www.duncanwil.co.uk and his Blog
duncanwil
Free member

Postby Victor » Tue 23 Sep 2003 13:54

How safe is it in Armenia? I am watching an interesting program about the country and It looks like its worth a visit. However the German foreign office says its dangerous and not to go.

Inside information ????
Victor - http://www.banitsa.eu
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
Victor
Free member

I'd be surprised ...

Postby duncanwil » Tue 23 Sep 2003 14:32

I have heard nothing to make me change my mind about Armenia. Given that the country is populated to the tune of over 90% by pure Armenians and everyone knows everyone, you should have no problems.

I used to walk around at all times of the day and night, all over the place and never had any problems. I know of no one then or since who's had a problem.

My latest contact with the country was just a few weeks ago and no problems reported.

I'd be interested to hear of anything to contradict what I've said, though!

Duncan
Duncan Williamson
duncanwil
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 24 Sep 2003 08:04

Not been there for about 3 years now, but had been 4 times previously and never had a problem at any time, although I have heard vague rumours (but nothing even slightly to substantiate them) of serious teams bandits working in some of the border areas, and chunks of the Azerbaijan border are disputed, so you can get trouble (although not for being foreign).
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

OK

Postby duncanwil » Wed 24 Sep 2003 08:12

OK, Rich. I lived only in Yerevan and travelled only a small amount around the country: to Lake Sevan, for example, and down the escarpment and along the Turkish border.

The road to Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan is a different story and you are probably better advised than me.

As always, especially if you're travelling to outlying districts, take good advice.
Duncan Williamson
duncanwil
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 24 Sep 2003 08:55

The road to Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan is a different story and you are probably better advised than me.

Somehow I doubt that i'm better informed as i've paid lttle or no attention to the area since i was last there in late 1999, and it is quite possible that the Azerbaijan border areas may be fine now. I agree that Yerevan is perfectly fine and has no problems, or certainly no more than you would get in any other city on the planet.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby gerrit » Sat 18 Nov 2006 00:38

It is a country with very limited employment opportunities for foreigners, isn't it?
Not so long ago I was talking to people who travel to Armenia regularly for charity purposes, and they did mention that it's the sort of country where foreigners will very rarely find employment, resulting in a society with very little immigrants. Not sure how true that is, it was their impression though.
gerrit
Free member

Not so ethnically diverse

Postby duncanwil » Sat 18 Nov 2006 08:33

One major point about Armenia that's worth knowing is that it is the least ehtnically diverse place I have lived in. That's not a bad thing it's a fact. I was there for just over a year or so from mid 2000 and at that time I understood that 98% of the population comprised Armenians.

Whether that means that it's difficult for foreigners to work there is another matter. What is the foreigner offering? After all, along with the rest of the Former Soviet Union, education standards were high where they had the resources to cope.

Armenians are certainly better read than the average European and American; they are are better at maths and logic than we are; they are often better travelled, play chess to a higher standard; appreciate history more; are culturally richer in that they appreciate classical music, opera, ballet, fine art, dramatcis ... much more than we do.

Not a sermon, just a few pointers for anyone thinking about going and living there.

Duncan
Duncan Williamson
duncanwil
Free member

Return to Armenia