im coming over to live and never been!

...and in these threads too. But you'll have to dig out the nuggets yourself! These are legacy threads from before the latest major BE revamp which are just too daunting to upgrade!

im coming over to live and never been!

Postby suey » Mon 13 Feb 2006 19:23

oh well im a hairdresser and living with a builder love the country and want to work in the city and have a small holding, i thought of brisbane even though never been! whats the score with finding work scared of being eaten alive by spiders and snakes is the local wildlife that much of a problem where shall i look to live any ideas,cheers all :roll:
on the run! to somwhere!
suey

Postby brido » Sun 26 Feb 2006 19:55

Have a look at the Brisbane Bayside areas, Robina and Coomera in the Gold Coast or Margate and Redcliffe as i believe Brits seem to settle in these places.
We are looking at Bayside and Gold Coast as we want to be near somewhere coastal and bayside is near to an industrial belt to suit my trade as a Fitter,my wife is a Nail Technician and theres plenty of opportunities there for her too so you shouldnt have a problem.
brido
Free member

Postby lholmes » Wed 01 Mar 2006 12:53

I'm actually a Redcliffe girl! It's a stunning area and close to everything. Still waiting for a train station though so unless you like busses you'll need a car.

My sister is a hairdresser and married to a builder and they have just built their second house to fit their boat, 2 cars and motorcycle so I think you two will do just fine!

If you do go to the North side area be sure to catch a barge to Moreton Island, it’s stunning.

Cheers,
Lauren H.
www.visabureau.com
Visa Bureau: New Zealand, Canadian, American, Australian visa service
lholmes
Free member

Postby hotpigeon » Wed 12 Apr 2006 12:45

Hi :-)

I am also leaving England to live in Brisbane - and I havent been either.

I am quite nervous about going - although I am far more excited.

When do you leave? I leave in Nov.

At least you have someone coming with you - it is just me and my dogs going :-)
hotpigeon

Postby lholmes » Wed 12 Apr 2006 13:12

You'll love it! I'm heading back there in a week after living in London for the last two years so it's going to be intertesting to see how much it's changed and grown!

Theres a lot of spots to take your dogs aswell! :D

Good luck!
Lauren H.
www.visabureau.com
Visa Bureau: New Zealand, Canadian, American, Australian visa service
lholmes
Free member

Postby brendatideswell » Thu 27 Apr 2006 02:02

:D Brisbane is great. The weather is sooo much better than england. My husband felt the same about being eaten by a spider or snake but we have been here 18mouths and am happy to say he's not even come close to being eaten. You will love it here.
brendatideswell

can anyone help - we need advice.......

Postby sheli0508 » Mon 11 Sep 2006 07:26

Hi we had started the process to move to canada but we have only recentley taken a serious look at the weather and to be honest we could cope with only having 2 weeks leave a year but a 2 month summer at 21o is slightly off putting.

My husbands friend lives in Ashmore and he has recommended that we come out to the Gold Coast - Mitchell (my husband) is a fitter and we can come over on the skilled workers program. My 3 questions are:

Are the nastys a real problem.... my 3 kids can't manage to keep their shoes on for more than 5 mins..... and I'm not too good with spiders?

Is they plenty of work for fitters - we'd really like to secure a job before we come out (this is what we were looking to do in Canada) Is this an option?

We want to come out mortgage free and ideally purchase a house with about 1 - 2 acres - we have about 125000 - 150000 £ to spend. Is this acheivable - or are we living in cloud cuckoo land......?

thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

cheers,

Shelley :)
sheli0508
Free member

Postby brido » Mon 11 Sep 2006 07:51

Hi Shelley,
I am also a fitter and theres plenty of work in Oz for Fitters as its still a 60 point occupation on demand.
We are also heading to Ashmore to settle once our house sale goes through and im not too fussed if i dont have a job by the time i get over as theres plenty on the go.

Once you get a visa,the Oz Gov't send you details of their employment website and you can apply for positions.I have also been given a few agencies to try via my migration agent,your husband should write up a CV (Resume in Oz) on www.seek.com.au as its a very good jobsite.

Im only going to push the job hunting once i have an idea when we will get over as we want about 4/6 weeks off initially to settle and treat it as a bit of a holiday first.

Good Luck

Brido :)

Queensland here we come!
brido
Free member

Postby sheli0508 » Mon 11 Sep 2006 08:17

cheers brido

thanks for the tips - how long will the process have taken you? ....and are you taking any children?

we ideally want something a bit rural - more land etc..... Mitchells friend was born over here but moved out to oz as a child... came back in his 20's to live with relative, which is when he met Mitchell - moved back to oz in 2001 and thinks ashmore is fantastic!!! good luck with the move!
sheli0508
Free member

Postby brido » Mon 11 Sep 2006 15:50

Hi Shelley,
Your husband will have to sit a trade assessment which is just gathering info from employers and taking his qualifications to a solicitors to varify and generaly this gets passed in 4/5 weeks.
The visa will be a subclass 136 visa as i figure you'll qualify for that with enough points and this takes 8 months to go through.We had our 136 visa passed in 6 months but ive heard the processing time has increased though i might be wrong.
This visa will allow you to stay anywhere in Oz and is a 5 year permanent residency visa and you can then apply for an Oz citizenship after 2 years.

We are 37 and 31 and have no kids yet,our plan is to enjoy Oz for a year then start a family as im getting on a bit!

Im not sure what you've looked into but the process works along these lines-
1) Trade Assessment - This cost $500AU for the quick assessment or $300AU for the longer one. I believe the 2 fee system has been replaced and its now $300AU standard fee.

2) Visa application - this fee varies depending on if you use a migration agent or not.We used visabureau in London and they were great to deal with.

3) Police checks and Medicals - Police checks are £10 each person on your application and you get the forms from your local police station.(Don't get these done too early as it affects your entry date should you get in.)
Medicals are around £200 each,give or take a few pounds.
We were £70 each for Radiologist and £130 for Medical,all of which is straight forward. You will be told when to apply for medicals usually late in the process of your application.

All in,once we did the Trade Assessment,the visa application was 26 weeks from start to finish.Your Agent should let you know the approximate time when you apply.

All the Best with your application.

brido
Free member

Postby brido » Mon 11 Sep 2006 15:50

Hi Shelley,
Your husband will have to sit a trade assessment which is just gathering info from employers and taking his qualifications to a solicitors to varify and generaly this gets passed in 4/5 weeks.
The visa will be a subclass 136 visa as i figure you'll qualify for that with enough points and this takes 8 months to go through.We had our 136 visa passed in 6 months but ive heard the processing time has increased though i might be wrong.
This visa will allow you to stay anywhere in Oz and is a 5 year permanent residency visa and you can then apply for an Oz citizenship after 2 years.

We are 37 and 31 and have no kids yet,our plan is to enjoy Oz for a year then start a family as im getting on a bit!

Im not sure what you've looked into but the process works along these lines-
1) Trade Assessment - This cost $500AU for the quick assessment or $300AU for the longer one. I believe the 2 fee system has been replaced and its now $300AU standard fee.

2) Visa application - this fee varies depending on if you use a migration agent or not.We used visabureau in London and they were great to deal with.

3) Police checks and Medicals - Police checks are £10 each person on your application and you get the forms from your local police station.(Don't get these done too early as it affects your entry date should you get in.)
Medicals are around £200 each,give or take a few pounds.
We were £70 each for Radiologist and £130 for Medical,all of which is straight forward. You will be told when to apply for medicals usually late in the process of your application.

All in,once we did the Trade Assessment,the visa application was 26 weeks from start to finish.Your Agent should let you know the approximate time when you apply.

All the Best with your application.

brido
Free member

Postby sam brook » Tue 12 Sep 2006 06:37

Hi Brido,

i see your way down the process and just waiting for the house sale, we are at the beginning, just filling in the tra what a nightmare they want so much info, my husband is an elecrician.
we have been told that because he has been with his last employer for 8 years we only have to get references and statements from them, and do not need to go back any further, we are not using an agent as trying to keep the cost down, you couldnt give us any advice could you or even an example of what you sent in

cheers

sam
sam brook
Free member

Postby brido » Tue 12 Sep 2006 09:12

Hi Sam,
I'll see what i can look out,the TRA is the hardest bit as they are so specific.Your husbands assessment won't be read by an electrician so he has to include the simplest things.
For example i sent mine with details from when i started working as an apprentice to present day and they wanted to know what i did each year and what wage i was paid and what exact tools i used during each stage.It has to be at least 3 pages long if i recall.

He will have to write this out and also get his work/works to agree with what he did,and have contact name/job position and contact ph number and email address and make sure the person also signs their name,not type it as without the signature its void.

If you email me at brian.drennan@ntlworld.com i'll send a copy of mine to show him whats required.

God luck with the application

brido
Free member

Postby sam brook » Tue 12 Sep 2006 09:55

:lol: Thank you so much brido

e mailing you now

Cheers

Sam
sam brook
Free member

Postby sheli0508 » Sat 14 Oct 2006 07:32

:)

Hi Brido,

We've finally taken the jump for OZ. Could I be rally checky and send you Mitchells CV so that you can point us in the right direction with the Trade bit??

many thansk,

Sheli
sheli0508
Free member

Return to There's gold in them thar hills