It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 21:38 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Kazakhstan

Information on Almaty, schools, housing etc

Information on Almaty, schools, housing etc

Postby kiwiindxb » Wed 21 Nov 2007 15:34 GMT

8) Husbands looking at a job in Almaty. can anyone advise on standard of living, if there is a british schooling system in place for 6 year olds, what the housing situ is like, and what there is to do. Coming from Dubai so if anyone can relate it'd be appreciated. cheers
Posted by:
kiwiindxb

Postby HesitationKills » Sat 24 Nov 2007 09:49 GMT

I've lived in Almaty for a year now, hope the following helps -

- housing is expensive. A 2 bed apartment will set you back about $4-5k per month, detached house around $8-10k. Expats stay all over the city as opposed to compounds but tend to cluster in areas like Al-Marasan, Khan Tengri and Gorni Gigant. These areas are out of the city centre close to the mountains. Apartments are generally in the down town area where the traffic and pollution is a lot worse.

- the city is growing and infrastructure is added all the time. The road system is being improved which is great as the traffic & the standard of driving can be horrendous at times. The police here actually work to keep the traffic flowing, unlike (say) Azerbaijan where they are only there to 'fine' you.

- people are great and you can walk around, take buses, do anything within reason and no-one bats an eye.

- there are many restaurants, shopping malls, markets, gyms etc to keep you occupied. Be aware English is not widely spoken, so it definitely helps if you know some Russian. Cost of living is expensive, a meal for two will set you back about $80. Its just coming into the ski-ing season, there are several runs c/w chair-lift, and a skating rink close to the city.

- in the summer lots of people head to the mountains or a place called Kapchagai for the weekends. Nice places where you can get away from it all.

- airport is modern with good range of international flights

- dont know much about schools as I have no kids but I know there is an international school

- there is an expat womens club

Thats all I can think of just now but let me know if theres anything specific you need to knwo and I'll try to help.....
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby kiwiindxb » Mon 26 Nov 2007 15:54 GMT

Thanks hesitationkills, that helps a lot. i'm sure there are other things i'll need to ask. silly question, but would my persian cat be safe there? A meal for 2 in dubai would cost around $140 so $80 looks like a bargain to me!! is the food good? do they have satelite tv? thanks so much for your info
Posted by:
kiwiindxb

Postby HesitationKills » Sun 2 Dec 2007 05:13 GMT

Good question but a sore one for us, we had a cat but it was run over on the street outside our house :( really depends on the house and / or location you pick, also be aware many Kazaks use dogs as security for their houses so it will need to be a fast runner....

The food is ok, you can get most ingredients if your into home cooking. The local diet is mainly pastry and meat type dishes, horse is on the menu too. There are many different types of restaurants to choose from.

There is satellite TV, we had a good package but it mysteriously went off one day and has never come back. Think there wasn't enough demand for it. Now we have Hotbird which is crap (unless you like the Bulgarian shopping channel and approx 10 god channels c/w fire and brimstone US preachers :roll: )

We're trying to get another sat package sorted out, I know it must be available somehow, as the hotels and bars seem to have half decent channels. Will let you know how we get on
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby kiwiindxb » Mon 31 Dec 2007 15:21 GMT

Hi hesitationkills, how many Europeans/South East Asians would you estimate live there? and what about english speaking kids. I hear it got down to -21 the other night, having lived in a semi tropical/temperate climate all my life, it sounds pretty aweful
Posted by:
kiwiindxb

Postby angieabroad » Sat 5 Jan 2008 13:36 GMT

My husband has recently moved to Almaty and I will be joining him in a few months. (We left Dubai 2 years ago after living there for 7 years).

I visited for a few days over Christmas to see what it was like and I was quite pleased. It is about 30 years behind Dubai, with only a few ex-pat bars and only a couple of mediochre shopping malls. However, the supermarkets stock a great range of international products and although I was only browsing I couldn't see that I would want for anything. I found the people helpful and friendly. The restaurants I visited were clean and the food was excellent - although, not comparable to Dubai.

The only drawback seemed to be that the population seems to be unaware that seat belts should be worn in cars. This is a problem when taking taxis because the docking mechanisms are tucked under the back seats. When you consider medical facilities are not very good I would rather be wearing a seat belt that risk unnecessary medical treatment if involved in an accident.

I stayed with a friend in a house in the upper part of town. We saw a number of dogs wandering the streets, but not in packs. I will be taking my 2 toy poodles and moggy with me when I go. I'll be visiting again in February and intend to check out vet facilities.

Can't help with the schools. I just did a quick search on School Almaty and there do seem to be a couple of options.

Hope that helps.
Posted by:
angieabroad

Postby kiwiindxb » Wed 9 Jan 2008 10:05 GMT

Thanks too angieabroad. these are 'good to know' things. dh is up there this weekend for the interview and a spot of skiing. I don't know how he'll get on there, having lived all his life in Brunei and complaining of the cold in Dubai, I don't see how he could stand living there. where did you live when you were in dubai?
Posted by:
kiwiindxb

Postby GHM » Sat 12 Jul 2008 13:29 GMT

We are travelling to Almaty in August for 3 months on business do you know how much a 2 bed apartment would be? kind regards GHM

[Edited by Site Admin - ad removed]
Posted by:
GHM

Schools

Postby expatwife » Fri 21 Jan 2011 06:09 GMT

Hi

I have been living in Kazakhstan for 2 years now as my husband is a teacher at Haileybury almaty. There is a brilliant kindergarten that my child went to, Green Hills British kindergarten, obviously uses the british curriculum and all English teachers, and even better it feeds straight into Haileybury so no worries there. On the subject of rent we live in a lovely apartment just on the out skirts of town it costs us $1800 pcm. Hope that helps.
Posted by:
expatwife

Postby travelfan » Thu 10 Feb 2011 07:46 GMT

Hello Expatwife! It sounds as if housing is cheaper than other sites have suggested (tho many postings are a couple of years old).

Is it true that it is unwise/impossible to ship belongings into Kaz? I've heard tales of sky high duty on everything and belongings going missing!

It wd put my mind at rest a lot to know I could bring my books, pictures and personal little bits and pieces. Thanks

PS how much on average is a telly and dvd player in Almaty?
Posted by:
travelfan

Postby KazakhMan » Thu 14 Jul 2011 21:29 GMT

Somebody said US$4-5k a month for a rental flat in Almaty. Man, they sure love to live like kings! :)
Posted by:
KazakhMan

Postby Kay » Sat 16 Jul 2011 09:26 GMT

Hello KazakhMan

Welcome to our forum. Thanks for your postings - you seem pretty clued up on the place. :D

Cheers

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Schools

Postby teatree » Sat 19 Jan 2013 11:22 GMT

expatwife wrote:Hi

my husband is a teacher at Haileybury almaty... On the subject of rent we live in a lovely apartment just on the out skirts of town it costs us $1800 pcm. Hope that helps.

Hello expatwife,

I noticed your post on this thread and wondered whether you might be able to help us. My husband and I are considering applying for posts at Haileybury. Is your husband still working there and, if so, does he find it a decent place to work? I notice that you say that you pay rent - the job ad includes accommodation as part of the package so I'm wondering whether that is a new thing? Also, does the package include free schooling. We have a teenage son.

Many thanks for your advice.
Posted by:
teatree

Schooling for young children

Postby misslisaitu » Fri 19 Apr 2013 04:54 GMT

For your 6 year old, I recommend:

[Advert removed by forum mod]

It's a Montessori system and all - English Curriculum. Most students are also expat kids, so they get along quite well. Teachers are all very high quality and have worked in the British or International system before.
Posted by:
misslisaitu

Postby JJ » Fri 19 Apr 2013 08:09 GMT

Sorry misslisaitu but in the terms and conditions to which you agreed moments before you posted that you would have read that recommendations in general and links in particular don't belong in the public boards, and when someone posts immediately after signing up we can only assume that in all likelihood it's an advert.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Kazakhstan