It is currently Sat 20 Oct 2018 05:55 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines

My Partner is Canadian, how do I come live with him?

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to Canada.

My Partner is Canadian, how do I come live with him?

Postby GillG » Sun 17 Jul 2016 19:18 GMT

I apologise in advance if this appears a stupid question but all the paperwork is confusing the heck out of me.
I'm a University Professor in the UK who is in a relationship with a Canadian living in Toronto. We started a relationship after meeting in Ireland in December 2014 on a family visit, and have been together ever since. I've visited Canada 3 times (for 3 weeks, 5 weeks and 3 weeks respectively). I have three children, the last of whom is going to University in September 2016 so I could not move over to Canada before then. I have now taken redundancy from my UK job, plan to sell my house a.s.a.p. and move to Toronto. Here's the question - do I get a 6 month temporary visitor's visa, then when I'm here apply for some kind of a work permit? Or do I come here and then live together with him for a year then apply for what appears to be a very strict cohabiting visa? Finally, in the meantime, I want to work but don't seem to qualify for an Open Work Visa or a Skilled Workers' Visa (even though I have a PhD and have done the language test and got a consistent level 10). I'm completely confused about this - I want to come here to be with my partner (he's 71 by the way so there is no time to be lost!) and I want to work while pursuing whatever way is best to be here permanently. I would be SO grateful for any advice, thank you very much, Gill.
Posted by:
GillG

Re: My Partner is Canadian, how do I come live with him?

Postby Kay » Mon 18 Jul 2016 07:23 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think this belongs on our Canada forum not the Malta one, so I'm shifting it for you.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines