Anyone heard of Lethbridge?

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Anyone heard of Lethbridge?

Postby TheRossFamily » Wed 09 Jul 2008 16:51

OH has been told by an agency that a company based in Lethbridge may be interested in him. Trouble is we know absolutely nothing about the place and had been setting our sights on commmunities such at Okotoks and Black Diamond. Can anyone give me an insight into Lethbridge - the good, the bad and the downright ugly as well! Have primary school age daughter so schooling is very important for us.
Not a 4 year wait after all, we will all be in Calgary by February 2009!!!!!!!
TheRossFamily
Free member

Postby bbintoh » Thu 10 Jul 2008 13:54

Hi, i dont know much about the area but i was told is a grwing area and is good for bringing up young family. I am trying to gooole it and do a step by step research, starting with house, prices or accommodation, crime, school, commuting around and things like that. I am sure someone will come inhere to help, hang on...good luck
bbintoh
Free member

Leithbridge

Postby Sam-in-Okotoks » Thu 10 Jul 2008 23:25

A friend I work with is from Leithbridge, he said it's a great place to live but can be very windy. I would suggest a research trip before you commit yourselves. We visited Leithbridge in 2004 during our research trip and found it to isolated for out liking.
Sam
Sam-in-Okotoks
Free member

Postby TheRossFamily » Fri 11 Jul 2008 12:15

Sam - was interested to see you are signed in as Sam-in-Okotoks. So can I assume that is where you are based :?:

If so can you give me some ideas of what it is like to live there? Especially schooling and commuting into Calgary.

TheRossFamily
Free member

Living in Okotoks

Postby Sam-in-Okotoks » Sat 12 Jul 2008 15:52

Hi TheRossFamily,
Okotoks is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. It still has the small town appeal but is close enough to Calgary for jobs and city life. The Schools here are very good and our children settled quickly and made lots of new friends. Okotoks also has a lake community which is fabulous for the children, it has a sandy beach, swimming, boating, fishing, BBQ's and fire pits. If you live in the lake community you have unlimited access to the lake and all its activities for approx £125 per year. Okotoks is also ideally located for easy access to the mountains, lakes and other recreational places to visit.
We love Okotoks and have no regrets about leaving the U.K and moving here, our quality of life has improved and we enjoy many things as a family.
If I can help you in anyway please get in touch.
Samantha
Sam-in-Okotoks
Free member

Postby TheRossFamily » Sat 12 Jul 2008 19:26

Hi Sam, sounds fab :D

Main worry is schooling for my 6 year old (7 in August). At present she goes to a very high achieving local state school and I suppose I am worried that she will not settle into the Canadian system. Are all the schools in Okotoks on a par :?:

If you can give me some insight into them I would be most grateful, I have had a quick look at them via websites but the 'ofsted' type reports confuse me.

Thanks
TheRossFamily
Free member

Postby Sam-in-Okotoks » Tue 15 Jul 2008 02:40

Hi
In the U.K our girls (8 & 10) went to a very good state school so we had the same worries you are going through. Our girls go to Dr Morris Gibson School in Okotoks and the whole experience has been very positive. We are very happy with the school and both our children have improved. I think all the schools in the area are similar and it just comes down to personal preference. Both our girls prefer school in Canada which is a huge relief as they did not want to leave the schools in England. If your daughter would like to talk or chat via email to my girls about school and life in Canada please get in touch. I hope this helps a little Samantha
Sam-in-Okotoks
Free member

okotoks schools

Postby TheRossFamily » Tue 15 Jul 2008 20:48

Hi Sam,
Thanks for that., tried to pm you but didn't work. So glad to hear that your two have settled in OK. OH has telephone interview on Thursday so will know more after that. Thanks for the name of your school. If you give me a direct email address I wll get Ella to contact your girls.

Debbie
TheRossFamily
Free member

Postby Sam-in-Okotoks » Tue 15 Jul 2008 21:48

Hi Debbie
I don't think I'm allowed to put my email address on here.
If you look next to my name at the bottom of the message you can click on my website and email through that. I can then send you the girls email address. Good luck with the interview - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Sam
Sam-in-Okotoks
Free member

Postby Dave » Wed 16 Jul 2008 11:31

Sam-in-Okotoks wrote:I don't think I'm allowed to put my email address on here.

If you read the guidelines, you'll see that we recommend that you don't post your email address (because it will get picked up by email address harvesting spambots). But we don't ban it - we simply point out that it's at your own risk.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Anyone heard of Lethbridge?

Postby shazza151 » Thu 22 Jan 2009 05:57

TheRossFamily wrote:OH has been told by an agency that a company based in Lethbridge may be interested in him. Trouble is we know absolutely nothing about the place and had been setting our sights on commmunities such at Okotoks and Black Diamond. Can anyone give me an insight into Lethbridge - the good, the bad and the downright ugly as well! Have primary school age daughter so schooling is very important for us.

Hi Ross Family,
My Oh and I live in Lethbridge AB, we came from a town in Northamptonshire UK.
We have been here in Lethbridge, for just over 18 month now and we love it. Play areas for kids, low crime, plenty of green spaces, friendly people. It does get windy here, but its not that bad, we have plenty of hot weather in the summer, a local airport, so you can fly to and from Calgary and Edmonton. And your not far from those famous "Rockies"Lethbridge has a great sense of community spirit, which i never found in the UK. Lethbridge is a great family place, with multiple ethnic groups! British, Dutch, Ukrainian, German, Chinese, Polish, Native and Canadian its just depending on what you are looking for!!

Shazza151
Interview Feb '07, Arrived in Alberta June/July '07 through the PNP
Applied for Province Nomination Mar '08, Nominated by Province Mar '08, SAR received Apr '08, PR App sent May '08, Med Aug '08
shazza151
Free member

Lethbridge / Okotoks

Postby canada 1010 » Wed 23 Jun 2010 08:59

Hi The Ross Family
I realise that this post is an old one but i found it interesting as we are in the same dilema. Lethbridge or Okotoks???

I guess by now that you are settled somewhere and wondered where you decided upon and what your views are on the area. We have been to Okotoks and loved it but never to Lethbridge, although heard good reports.

Hope you can help :D
canada is our future
canada 1010

Return to Choosing where to live