Saskatchewan

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Saskatchewan

Postby carolinedraper » Tue 19 May 2009 16:53

I ask that any one living in Saskatchewan to feel free giving their general perspective.
Thank you.
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby cox799 » Thu 18 Feb 2010 15:12

I to am after information on Saskatchewan, i imagine it to be big open fields, think i will have to go look on the web :)
Coming over soon!!!!!!!
cox799

brit guy in sask

Postby baz024 » Mon 10 May 2010 17:58

moved here bout 3 yrs ago..

lived in regina for bit and now moved just on the outskirts..

Im gonna just give you my opinion , you can take it or leave it. i dont want to come across pushy....
My situation , moved here bout 3 yrs ago on my own as a 25 yr old lad. i got a welding job before i left the uk so could just start straight away..... I had first thoughts of the place like roads are huge, prices are cheap and people are friendly .. But..... after a while you realise things like yeah people are friendly to your face but its thaat kinda friendly you get from used car salemen, fake an two faced....... and the prices are cheap well the advertised prices are cheap but for some strange reason the price you see isnt the price you pay.. u have to add there taxes after and if its things like booze or things in bottles / tins theres further costs they add , deposit fees...
and the roads. wow ... it makes you appreciate having to pay uk road tax, there falling apart with huge pot holes in them and when they finally do repairs , they cant seem to realise if you just do a 1 metre area of road its not gonna last long. rather than do a 1 mile stretch they will fill 100 holes badly along that stretch... And i warn you now, i think they r given there licenses as gifts, like buy 6 beer get a free license cause wow they have no idea how to drive its so dangerous.... and cant promise they have indicators on the cars cause ive never seen them used . they just change lanes and hope no ones there i think...

could go on an on .. i think for some people , maybe moving a whole family young kids and middle aged adults , could be good but i dunno what to say.. i just cant wait till english jobs pick up a little better i think...

thats my two pence... oh an dispite the fact we all speak english, there is still a language barrier..
Brit guy in sask,,,, AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH
baz024

Postby alexfiona » Tue 11 May 2010 03:36

living in one of the prairie provinces too, I totally get what you're trying to say. In Alberta, the driving is abysmal. I always feel as if the truck behind me is desperate to change my CD as they drive so close and they show no courtesy or thought for other drivers. I get what you mean about the language barrier- the thing that bugs me is they won't make the effort to try and work out what you say, you just get stared at as if you're the one with the accent. I also understand the friendship thing. People always said we were lucky when we moved as we had children and it was assumed that they made the friendship barriers easier to break. I often think that many friendships were established in high school/college and many people I know are just not willing to widen their circle of friends- sure you can be a bit of a novelty to begin with but that often wears thin quite quickly! With British people you don't have to explain yourself all the time- they just get you. I often say to my husband that I want to have a conversation with someone that I'm not repeating myself a hundred times or explaining myself!! You don't share any cultural references which can be tough! Are there many British people in Regina? You really are in the middle of nowhere! I honestly think you're in the wrong province!! I think Ontario would be better suited to you. More British people, days out don't cost the earth. In Edmonton things are expensive too and, because not much happens, events are painfully busy. Weirdly enough, although I agree with just about everything you say, I wouldn't go home. I know that's not much help to you but I see the future as brighter here rather than the UK. We are hoping that in a few years' time we van move to Ontario, maybe that's one thing that keeps me positive!
The one thing that I would disagree with you on is the patching of the roads. My father-in-law used to go on and on about the condition of our roads until the UK had that especially cold winter last year! There are many a pot-hole ridden road now!
never underestimate those of us who dream and wait.
alexfiona
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live