South Shore, Nova Scotia

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

South Shore, Nova Scotia

Postby Alicat » Tue 04 Aug 2009 09:57

Hi All / Buddyboy (seem to recall you live near Bridgewater),

Following another wonderful trip to NS in May we had previously favoured the 'valley', but my heart is now set on the South Shore and in particular the Bridgewater/Lunenburg/Mahone Bay area.

However, today I have been having a little nosey around on the Realtor website and have seen a couple of very nice properties with plenty of acreage in New Canada and New Cornwall. Both of the sales descriptions claim that they are within 10/15 minutes of Bridgewater - is this correct in reality?

Also, would I be crazy to consider living 'in land' with four young children? Are these areas on school bus routes? How are the roads/access back to Bridgewater during the snowy months of the year?

I don't want to completely 'cut myself off' so to speak, but I am being wowed by what I can get for my money a little further out.

Any comments both positive and negative welcome.

Thanks in advance

Alison
Alicat
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Wed 05 Aug 2009 15:56

South Shore is wonderful so good choice.

As for school bus routes the easiest thing to do is ask the realtor directly for a house that is on the school bus route.

That way you know that your road will be plowed and adjoining roads to it will be as well (within reason) this makes it easier to get onto the main roads.

Not been down that way for years but I seem to remember those areas being very rural but they are on the Light house route and close to Lunenburg and Bridgewater. Personally I would rather pay the extra and be closer to Mahone Bay or Lunenburg, there are many seasonal residents there and it can be a bit dead off season so being close to a large town would be an advantage.
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Alicat » Wed 05 Aug 2009 18:50

Thanks Caroline,

Having slept on it, I too believe that we would be better off paying a bit more to be nearer a large town, especially to start off with.

Mahone Bay is the dream location, don't know if it will happen and I know it is a bit touristy, but I wouldn't mind 'tapping in' to that market anyway.

Alison
Alicat
Free member

Postby Buddyboy » Tue 11 Aug 2009 12:46

Hi Alicat: I'm not surprised at your choice of the South Shore as it's such a beautiful area. Fabulous beaches abound and you usually have them almost to yourself, particularly the further west you go. I don't know the areas you mentioned so cannot comment on them, but you can pretty well calculate driving time by distance, as traffic in this part of the world is non-existent.

Properties are pricier in and around Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, also it is much more touristy. Go west of Bridgewater and prices fall significantly, but towns are smaller, amenities somewhat less. If you want to be near a "big" city then that can only be Halifax. If you want just to be near a reasonable sized town, then that would be Bridgewater, which calls itself the main street for the South Shore. Towns after that get much smaller, the next being Liverpool going west. Personally I love Liverpool as it is small (c3500) with great amenities for a town of its size, including a wonderful theatre seating about 350.

So, personal preferences will dictate what you choose. The ocean is very attractive to live at or by, but house taxes here are much higher for ocean front properties, and even ocean view, I believe, pay a premium. Go a little inland and the temperatures are also warmer. Locally we are usually as much as 10C warmer than at the coast and we live 6km inland.

Beware properties not seen and inspected personally. Many photograph and describe well but might be real problems once actually seen. Do let us know how you get on.
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Alicat » Tue 11 Aug 2009 13:34

Thanks Buddyboy for a very informative reply!

I agree with your comment regarding housing looking wonderful on the internet only to find that it is dreadful when you visit, just using the Realtor site as a guide to get a feel of the size of property we may be able to purchase.

I love Mahone Bay, but the taxes are very high. My gut feeling is that we will settle close to Bridgewater to ensure we have easy access to all amenities.

Having spent a night at Liverpool last August, I agree it is a very nice place and perhaps even a little under-rated, shame!

Thanks again for all your support, I'll keep you posted.

Alicat
Alicat
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live