moving to Montreal

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

moving to Montreal

Postby alexfiona » Thu 26 Nov 2009 02:49

Hi
I already live in Canada. We've been in Edmonton, Alberta for 6 and a half years. At the moment, we are seriously considering a move to Montreal. Both my husband and I speak no french but he's been offered a job at McGill which is an english speaking university. We will probably visit in the New Year to have a look at school and places to live.
This is a huge move. I was borderline clinically depressed when we first moved to Canada and I know my husband is nervous that I get down again.
I would like help in a few areas:
where would we best look for a house? We were thinking Beaconsfield, is this appropriate?
We have two young children. How does the school system work, there seems to be no getting away from them not going to french immersion- which I have no problem with. I just don't want my son- who would be going into Grade 4, to be totally lost as he can speak not french either. Would private school be a better route?
My daughter just turned 6 and from what I can gather from the school information she would have been too young to start Grade 1 this year if we lived in Montreal as the cut off date seems to be September and she didn't turn 6 until November. Does that mean that she would have to repeat Grade 1?
Any other information that is specific to Montreal, especially in how it differs from Edmonton, would be great. Thanks.
never underestimate those of us who dream and wait.
alexfiona
Free member

Postby JGK » Sat 23 Jan 2010 04:35

I lived in Montreal from 2001 to 2007. I don't have kids but plenty of my colleagues did.

If your child has be educated in English only in Canada you should be able to get them in to the English system rather than the French. Not sure how the french immersion would work (normally kindergarten and grade 1 is totally in French)

I've lived in the predominantly Anglophone West Island in Beaconsfield, Dorval and Dollard des Ormeaux (there's also Kirkland, Senneville, Baie d'Urfe, pointe Claire, Pierreflonds and Lachine), much of that area is very nice if a bit pricey by the lake shore.

If you're working at McGill (downtown) the commute is at least 1 hour. If it's the McDonald campus it's 10 minutes.

If you need a recommendation for a real estate agent, PM me I can put you in touch with a good one based in the West Island
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
JGK
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 23 Jan 2010 08:10

JGK, if you'd taken the trouble to read the posting guidelines before posting (as all of our members are asked to - it's common sense as well as good netiquette) you'd see that:

- we ask people not to recommend specific businesses. If a business wants to be promoted on this site, we have advertising boards for that purpose. Recommendations (free adverts, to all intents and purposes) deprive this site of the revenue needed to keep it running.

- newcomers don't get the PM privilege, for several reasons - not least because businesses were joining up and spamming members with self-promotional PMs.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby alexfiona » Thu 28 Jan 2010 23:00

thanks for the reply JGK! The move seems more probable by the day and I am getting more and more nervous, mostly because not many people have positive things to say about Montreal.
We hope to visit soon and maybe this will stop my panicking!
never underestimate those of us who dream and wait.
alexfiona
Free member

Postby JGK » Fri 29 Jan 2010 02:40

Don't worry about it, Montreal is a great place to live. I was there for 6 years and made great friends there and we still keep in touch.

Once you get past a few things, and develop a sense of humour where the PQ are concerned, life there is very good.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
JGK
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live