Commuting times Toronto-Burlington-St Catharines ON

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Commuting times Toronto-Burlington-St Catharines ON

Postby Lindyloo31 » Sat 26 Jun 2010 19:26

Hi All

I apologise if I have posted this query in the wrong area!

Could anyone please tell me how long it takes to commute between the following cities:

Toronto - Burlington
Burlington - St Catharines

We are coming to Ontario in September as I have a place at college. We are looking at living in St Catharines as this is the closest city to my college. However, as my fiance is seeking work, we are wondering if living in Burlington is worth considering, as we believe this will open up more job opportunities. Would the commute times (both by car or public transport) between Burlington - Toronto and Burlington - St catharines be practical to do on a daily basis?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks and take care

:)
Lindyloo31
Free member

Postby anon7656 » Sun 27 Jun 2010 07:26

Hi Lindyloo,

Not sure about Burlington - St Catherines but I know that Burlington - Toronto on the GO train is usually 40-50 mins having done it a few times myself when visiting....more than commutable.

Driving is around the same but the traffic(also did this) is a horror on the QEW/403 at rush hour so can take much longer.
Canadians are way less likely to use the train than Europeans so that I think is the best option as its quick, reliable and you usually get a seat(from my experinace of doing it for a week or so)

Hope this helps.
anon7656
Supporter

Postby pfw » Mon 28 Jun 2010 03:04

I commute Burlington <-> Toronto Union a couple of times a week or so.

Note there are two main commuter stations in Burlington - Burlington (Central ish) and Appleby (east side). Also Aldershot, which is further west but not all trains go out that far.

Commuting from Appleby fast commute train times are this sort of thing IIRC:

0722 -> 0805
1715 -> 1757

Reasonable number of trains in rush hour, far fewer during the rest of the day.

There are no problems getting a seat at Appleby, by Clarkson (Mississauga) people are usually standing. Seats are a bit bigger than a UK train, the GO service is pretty reliable (although far from perfect). In the depths of winter standing on a platform at 7am can become an extreme sport :D. You need to factor in any additional subway time as well unless your office is in the downtown core. Compared to a lot of London commutes, it's not that bad though.

I wouldn't do it in the car unless you really have to - the traffic is awful. Plus it's in a rubbish direction (east in the morning and west in the evening so the sun is always shining in your eyes when you are driving).
Paul.
pfw
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live