Good university, in a good location.

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Good university, in a good location.

Postby Reece » Wed 22 Dec 2010 00:35

Okay so I was wondering where is the best place to live with a good university?

Now of course I wouldn't just leave it that open, it would be ridiculous.

I would like somewhere that is very outgoing, plenty of bars, clubs and restaurants etc near by. I don't really want to live in a city but i don't mind. I would like somewhere quite visually pleasing to look at.

Somewhere where housing prices aren't through the roof. (although, if they have it in Canada, I would stop on campus.)

Defiantly not Quebec my French is appalling!

I can cut back on a few of these if necessary to accommodate the university.

I hope this post doesn't cross to much with another.

-Reece
Reece
Free member

Postby Graeme » Thu 23 Dec 2010 00:29

Couple of problems there Reece, most Universities are in major centers and of course for bars, clubs restaurants they require a good population density to function so they tend to be in cities as well. Your best bet is to look to the satellite universities which are in smaller towns/cities with a good population. Examples would be Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, University of British Columbia (Okanakan campus) in Kelowna. Both fairly good Uni's but in nicer centers, both with bars, airports, etc but cheaper for living than Vancouver. There are bound to be equivalents in other provinces. Living on campus is cheaper in the satellite Uni's than the bigger center ones by lots!
Having said that you do realize that the out of country students get dinged big money for the courses they take, probably close to twice as much as the local kids. A degree here takes 4 years not the 3 it takes in the UK< kids here go to school for 1 year less than in the UK which is why the first year of Uni is A level style/intensity courses.
Hope that helps a bit, ask more if you need to.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Fri 24 Dec 2010 02:03

One place you might consider is Acadia University (Google it) in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. It is a pretty town with a vibrant life for young people. There is also quite an artsy-fartsy group of older hippies still hanging about, so the town is very eclectic...lots of art, museums, bars, etc. and a wonderful local theatre.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
justajester
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Fri 24 Dec 2010 16:18

Nice to see you back JaJ, Merry Christmas! I'm sure Reece would prefer the West side of Canada though :-)

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Reece » Sat 25 Dec 2010 02:14

Thanks, both of you.

I will have a look into it, I mean i can compromise, if I have to live in a city center then so be it!

I don't actually think the price will be that different considering as soon as i go to uni the fees nearly triple hear any way.

I was considering law, 3.5k per year for 3 years, in 2012 it will be around 9k! :o

But money is the main problem but i do have a wee bit saved up at the moment.

But thanks for the info guys, i will look into it.

Merry Christmas.

-Reece
Reece
Free member

Postby justajester » Sat 25 Dec 2010 23:58

If it's law you are considering, Dalhousie University in Halifax (again in Nova Scotia..Graeme, I'm sure he'd like the east coast :wink: ) should definitely be considered. My ex went there to study law, and has been a liar...erm...lawyer, for a while.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
justajester
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Sun 26 Dec 2010 07:10

MY youngest is about to head for Uni in the Okanagan, we reckon it to cost $15,000 a year, add in an allowance and that can rise to $20,000 a year. Double that for an out of country student and you'll be pretty close I think.
Lots of research need ed here Reece! Good luck!
Graeme
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Buddyboy » Thu 30 Dec 2010 19:32

I am biased towards the east side of the country but, having declared that, the universities in Nova Scotia are recognized as the best in Canada. Halifax is a city with city amenities, but is small sized and user friendly. The downside is that universities here in Nova Scotia are the most expensive in Canada but a fair margin. Your web research will provide more specific answers.
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Reece » Fri 31 Dec 2010 08:25

I better start saving at those prices. :O

Really that high, that's ridiculous!

I guess i'll just have to take a gap year out there instead, because there ain't no way i'm getting that much money, and a loan for that amount from the UK is very unlikely.
Reece
Free member

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 31 Dec 2010 14:36

Reece: It's like having a bucket of ice cold water thrown over your ideas. However, there are other ways of pursuing education here (as I am sure there are in the UK). Distance education here is well developed and affordable. I did correspondence university courses with University of Waterloo (Ontario) for a few years while I worked and thoroughly enjoyed them. It's not for everyone, but it's an option.
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 01 Jan 2011 08:56

That's a good idea, Buddyboy. I did my MSc eBusiness by distance learning with a respected Scottish university while we were living in India.

Distance learning is a great option as long as you have the self-discipline to get through the course. You miss out on the social interaction of being a student, though, so it's maybe not so great for a teenager.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Buddyboy » Sat 01 Jan 2011 16:09

That's very true Kay, which shows that everything has a price. When I was younger I thought that education by correspondence was a bit micky mouse. When I matured in my thinking, and in later years did a fair bit of hiring, I was always significantly impressed by anyone who had done distance learning with accredited institutions while working. It does show great discipline, just what a company would be looking for.
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Reece » Sun 02 Jan 2011 00:05

When I was younger I thought that education by correspondence was a bit micky mouse.

That has hit it right on the head Buddyboy, while I think it's a good idea for some people, I certainly don't think it's for me, at least not yet, anyway.

Perhaps when I'm older the idea may be a bit more appealing, but i would like to experience University life.

Thanks for the ideas.

-Reece
Reece
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live