Advice on some areas please

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Advice on some areas please

Postby bethsdad » Tue 10 May 2011 22:21

Hi everyone, I’m new on here and looking for some advice please,

My wife and I are in the process of moving to Canada, our visa applications have been lodged and we hope to be over in the next 18 months or so.

The only problem is nailing down where we want to settle.
I know this must be the most asked question on the boards but I would like real people’s experiences of where they live,

We have a few ideas but were hoping to get some advice from people living in the areas we were looking at. Or if anyone could suggest an alternative.

Ideally we need to be close to a good school for our 4 year old daughter. A good education for her is one of the most important things for us.

We would like to be close enough to a big(ish) city so we can commute to work but far enough out so that there is still a nice small town family feel to the neighbourhood.

We like the outdoors and we would like to get our daughter sking

We are looking for good work life balance and a slightly slower pace of life would probably suit my personality.

And we don’t want to spend our entire earnings on a mortgage

We would also like to know about house prices, taxes and availability of work in different areas, My wife works in insurance and I’m a stonemason (well that’s my job title in the UK, I work with granite & marble)
I have kind of been offered a job in south Ottawa.

We’ve looked at places from the East to West coast and every where has their merits.

We’ve looked at Vancouver but the 2 main things that have put us off is the price of property and the fact there could be a massive earthquake. So we thought about Kamloops?
Other areas we have thought about are

Edmonton
Moncton
Peel
Halifax

We do not necessarily want to move to the obvious areas so any suggestions/advice would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks for your help in advance.
bethsdad

Postby Graeme » Tue 10 May 2011 23:51

I like Kamloops, I live about 40 minutes drive from there, it's a great city with all the amenities. It's close to a great ski hill, it has good schools, a university, excellent medical facilities and is only a 4 hour drive from Vancouver or a short 40 minute flight (it has it's own airport too). The weather is good, long hot summers and mild(ish) winters and very little rain. So, I can't speak to the East coast, but Kamloops is a great place to live!
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby JGK » Sun 29 May 2011 23:49

A former work colleague bought a house in Carleton Place (SW of Ottawa). I visited a year or so ago and it's a beautiful small town.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
JGK
Free member

Return to Choosing where to live