So close to moving to canada

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

So close to moving to canada

Postby Chrispick » Sun 11 Mar 2012 20:37

Hi all, my name is chris, me, my wife and two children aged 11 & 6 are on the verge of signing up to a law firm based in Toronto to process our move to Ontario. We have qualified for the permanent residence visa and just need to pay the first fees to get the ball rolling. We are looking at sarnia or London to live. I am a joiner and the wife is an early years teacher. Could anyone give us any information on the places and life in general in these places and also if it's the right thing to do in getting the law firm involved. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks for your time chris
Chrispick

Postby Dave » Mon 12 Mar 2012 02:30

Hi, Chris, and welcome.

I've shifted your post to the "Choosing where to live" board as it seems pretty clear that you're keen to make the move, and the "Decisions, decisions..." board is more for people worrying whether they're doing the right thing!

Your question about involving the law firm is really one for the "Immigration" board. By all means ask again on that board - but a quick scan of some of the previous posts on there will show you that opinions vary. Some people think they're great, others think they're unnecessary, and others will tell you it depends on the firm involved...

Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you an idea of what life is like in Sarnia and London.

Good luck with your move. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 12 Mar 2012 03:12

Personally I liked London, it has an old feel to it but at the same time is vibrant and youthful. It has a University which might help and is set in some pretty countryside. You're close to Niagara Falls, and not too far from Toronto if you need to go there. Sarnai is more of an industrial town with a sort of rougher feel to it (I thought anyhow, my wife disagreed) but it's also not a bad place to live. It's right on the southern tip of Lake Huron and is subject to the cold winds off the lake in the winter, and it gets humid and hot in summer. Mind you London isn't much different climate wise. I prefer London,. but it's a personal taste. You're well advised to contact the chambers of commerce of each town and have them send you information on schools, shops, amenities, hospitals, health clinics etc (getting a doctor can be tough in Ontario) and whatever else they have to offer. Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Choosing where to live