Moving to parksville BC

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Moving to parksville BC

Postby Polly1 » Fri 18 May 2012 17:05

Hi < I am new to this site, but very pleased i've found it . Could anyone one give me some information about the cost of living in Parksville BC 'we are going there along with our 2 children in their 20's.What type of work would be available for a 58 yr man willing to do anything, could we manage on a minimum wage there if 2 of us were working ? this doesn't apply to my kids as they will find employment. any info you can give me would be appreciated .
Polly1

Postby Graeme » Fri 18 May 2012 22:33

Parksville is a beautiful area. I've mentioned before how it costs more to live on Vancouver Island due to the Ferry charges for most goods and services transported there from the lower mainland (try searching 'Vancouver Island' in the search feature). Unemployment is always an issue and that's true for Parksville as much as anywhere else in BC, unless he has some special talents then he's going to have a tough time finding work. So much comes down to networking and knowing where the vacancies are, they aren't always posted. Minimum wage recently went to $10.25 an hour and two people working full time at 40 hours a week would produce about $800 a week or $3,200 a month. Take of taxes etc and you probably have $2,500 or so to work with. Can you live on that? Probably can but you won't be living high on the hog, you'd be needing to watch the pennies. How about transport, do you mean to own a car? Insurance can be $140 a month or more if they don't count your previous experiences. Health care costs are covered if you have limited income, but the more you earn the more you pay. Food and accommodation costs are probably not that much different from place to place but it would still be tight.
Have you checked out the Parksville.ca website for more information?
Feel free to ask any more questions.
Cheers.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Polly1 » Sat 19 May 2012 10:04

Hi, thanks for the info, we will be morgage free , but will have to work to pay for everything else. We do know a few people over there , but i wanted someone elses take on it. My husband has his own Driving school over here which he will sell, but would like a change now after 32 years of doing this. he really does'nt mind what he does, just as long as it's enough for us to live on . We understand we will have to get private medical insurance when we arrive, have you any advise on that please. Many thanks
Polly1

Postby Dave » Sat 19 May 2012 10:12

Hi, Polly, and welcome. :-)

Your latest question really belongs on the Health board - please feel free to repost it there. Please note that we don't allow recommendations of specific companies on the public boards, as explained in the posting guidelines. Requests for general advice on medical insurance matters are fine, though.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Polly1 » Sat 19 May 2012 10:30

Ok Thanks
Polly1

Postby Graeme » Sat 19 May 2012 14:39

Hi Polly, You can't get MSP (Medical Services Plan of BC) coverage until you have been resident in BC for 3 months. Best to apply as soon as you get here for that. You might be able to get coverage from an insurance company in the UK for the first 3 or 4 months (just to be sure) or you can try when you are over here. There are numerous companies who would be happy to sell you insurance provided there is nothing wrong with you or your family :) but it would probably be easier to bring coverage with you.
Thinking of pensions, when your hubby starts to draw his UK pension, from the moment he starts it it becomes frozen at that amount and he doesn't get the usual incremental increases that you would get if you were in the UK; this is one of the disadvantages of living in the colonies.
Cheers.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 26 May 2012 15:57

Locked by me, otherwise the discussion risks drifting over more and more ground! :-)

Polly, feel free to ask any further questions on the appropriate boards - one subject per topic as per the posting guidelines, please.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Choosing where to live