Thinking of relocating to Canada from UK

Atlantic coast or Pacific coast? Prairies or cities? So many choices in a country of Canada's size... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Thinking of relocating to Canada from UK

Postby bento » Sun 27 Oct 2013 03:17

we are thinking of relocating to Canada but we havent decided which province to go to as we havent been before. My wife is a nurse mental health trained i am a health support worker in nhs can someone advise me which city is best to start a new life in canada. We have 2 kids 12 and 2 years old and we both in our mid 30s
bento

Postby Graeme » Sun 27 Oct 2013 16:02

I think you might be putting the cart before the horse here. First thing would be to work out if you are eligible to move to Canada. Once you have established that you can come to Canada you might want to look and see which provinces accept your qualifications for employment, not all provinces are equal in this regard. A mental health nurse for example may be equivalent to a Psych nurse in BC or a registered nurse (psych) in Ontario. Where you can -or can't-work may limit where you can go. I'm biased but I think BC is the best province to live in, but they are all so different. I'd be inclined to have a little trip out to Canada to the province or city that you think you'd like to live in and see what it's like. I moved out here from the UK 30 odd years ago without checking out where I wanted to live. I was very lucky and it all worked out brilliantly but I have heard horror stories of people moving to some places and feeling isolated, incredibly home sick and before you know it they're bouncing back to the UK.
There is mountains of information on the web about each and every city in Canada. As I mentioned narrow it down a bit first, find out if you are actually able to move here, then you'll still have loads of time to pick a province or a city.
Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby bento » Mon 28 Oct 2013 18:22

Thanks a lot for your information I will take that on board I will visit on a vacation (holiday) first next year I am thinking of Toronto. As for home sick will not be an issue coz originally I am from zimbabwe I have lived in uk for 15 years by the way I am black African I think I would prefer to live in a place were its diverse as well. But its not my major issue as I have lived in community were we were the only minority for a long time and we find it not a problem to fit in with white communities. As for eligibility for visas and work I have already found all the information for nurse's it's not a problem. The only thing is want some guidance information for cities towns with affordable housing for mortgages and so forth and better school for kid's.
bento

Postby Graeme » Mon 28 Oct 2013 19:29

Usually the bigger the city, the more expensive the costs of living there. Vancouver is a very expensive place to live and Toronto isn't too far behind. The further away from the centre you live the less the price-usually, so look to the suburbs. You would need to look carefully at the schools and one way to check their performance would be to look at the Frazer Institute's reports on the schools, they actually grade the schools based on some exam results.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Choosing where to live